This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Lottie’s 60L
Last Post: Suelo
Today 09:51 AM
» Replies: 107
» Views: 5560
Aqua Nano 40 (55litre) zero readings
Last Post: PJN
Today 09:49 AM
» Replies: 68
» Views: 1903
Checkered Barb Disaster!
Last Post: Suelo
Today 09:43 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 49
PJN's 135 Litre Mekong River
Last Post: PJN
Today 09:11 AM
» Replies: 644
» Views: 41625
Amano shrimp death
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:16 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 86
Humming
Yesterday 10:13 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 36
My old marine tanks
Last Post: SpanishAnnie
Yesterday 08:28 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 368
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 07:13 PM
» Replies: 1067
» Views: 65341
Fake plants for breeding.
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 06:44 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 1104
Shallow Jungle - Nano Planted
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 06:38 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 1762
*GUIDE* Help! Im confused!!
Last Post: SpanishAnnie
Yesterday 06:11 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 483
Nearly there! Jota's tank
Yesterday 01:54 PM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 505
Gathering starter information.
Last Post: wingnut55
Yesterday 01:01 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 208
Hello !!!
Last Post: fr499y
Yesterday 10:20 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 104
Please ID this pleco
Last Post: black ghost
Yesterday 08:13 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 71

Lottie’s 60L
Hi all

Finally getting around to an update on my new(ish) 60L planted Juwel tank. This was an upgrade from my first tank - a 29L which housed a few endlers.

Started a fresh with this one, unfortunately the one remaining endler didn’t last in the new tank. But on a more positive note things now seem to be looking better. I’m furiously touching wood!

Currently stocked with 4x salt & pepper platies (2x female, 2x male) and 2x nerites.

I’m fairly sure one of our female platies is pregnant - she’s got a pretty huge belly compared to the other females and has recently taken to hiding away from the others. Hard to tell if she’s got a gravid spot due to her colouring. Will be v interesting to see what happens.

I’d quite like to add some amano shrimp in the next few weeks but I’ll see how things progress with the fish for a bit.

And in the meantime here’s a pic - our cat is rather taken with the new set up as you can see!

[Image: 053f94b123f05c7176aded13ccdeef75.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60L: 4x salt and pepper platies, 2x nerites
[-] The following 2 users Like LottieWills's post:
  • fr499y, SpanishAnnie
Thanks given by:
Looks very nice, and I'm loving the cat lol Smile
Thanks given by:
Looks nice Lottie Smile You leaving the vallis at the back to grow up and along the top of the water? Smile
Thanks given by:
Reminds me of that very old add, "put a Tiger in your tank", lol. Looks stunning Lottie.  Smile 

Ian
Juwel Rio 450 LED

10 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
16 Cardinal Tetras
6 Red Phantom Tetras
8 Silvertip Tetras
6 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys ?
2 Panda Corys ?
2 Bristlenose Plecs

Tank 70% stocked with above housemates.  Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2018, 11:41 AM)wingnut55 Wrote: Reminds me of that very old add, "put a Tiger in your tank", lol. Looks stunning Lottie.  Smile 

Ian

Showing your age there Ian... Lol

Loving your tank Lottie. And the cat is grgeous.

Thanks given by:
Beautiful tank (and cat!) Plants are looking great, I love the crypts.
240 litre Fluval Roma: 27 harlequin rasboras, 24 neon tetras, 8 albino corydoras, 6 otocinclus, 6 honey gourami
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2018, 08:26 AM)fr499y Wrote: Looks nice Lottie Smile You leaving the vallis at the back to grow up and along the top of the water? Smile

Thank you. And yep, that's the plan. The plant pretty much melted away to nothing but has some new growth so I'm hopeful we'll get come good coverage.
Thanks given by:
Thanks everyone for feedback. I'm pretty happy with the layout. Our cat, Matilda, is a 5 yr old Bengal. She's got a lot of personality but seems to find the tank relaxing so that's good.

Bit of a sad discovery this evening when I got in from work. The female I thought was pregnant had died. Other than being shy and having a big belly there was nothing unusual. No signs of parasites to my (novice) eye, no fin clamp, no ich or anything. Is this just unlucky? I have it in my head that if the tank is properly set up and cycled and the fish look healthy when you buy them, really you shouldn't be losing any?

Could the males have harassed her too much (I didn't see any signs of this)? Nitrite & ammonia tests negative. Little disheartened as I don't want a repeat of the endler tank nightmare. Is there an all-round medication I should dose the tank with in case there's something lurking?

Sorry - lots of questions!
Thanks given by:
Sorry for your loss Sad

Could the big belly have been internal parasites, eg. worms ? Otherwise it could just be one of those unexplained deaths - the most frustrating.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2018, 08:41 PM)PJN Wrote: Sorry for your loss Sad

Could the big belly have been internal parasites, eg. worms ? Otherwise it could just be one of those unexplained deaths - the most frustrating.

That's what I'm a bit worried about after a bit of research this evening.

I've found API's General Cure (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007R5M7V6/?..._lig_dp_it) which looks like it might be worth investing in. Any experience with this?

Agree that these unexplained deaths are the worst - hate not having answers.
Thanks given by: