This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

<
[-]
Latest Threads
Matt's 450
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 02:30 PM
» Replies: 116
» Views: 3374
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Annie
Today 01:50 PM
» Replies: 898
» Views: 40001
New Tank Setup: Patience required?
Last Post: Marty.h
Today 01:47 PM
» Replies: 71
» Views: 1163
Newbie Advice
Today 01:33 PM
» Replies: 74
» Views: 1642
Benvilles' Tanks
Today 01:05 PM
» Replies: 677
» Views: 339
Mol_PMB's wildlife pond
Last Post: Mol_PMB
Today 12:37 PM
» Replies: 105
» Views: 1996
Water Change Frequency
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:04 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 37
Hi from Bedford!
Last Post: Stephen
Today 11:48 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 68
Going bigger
Last Post: Si4geckos
Today 11:31 AM
» Replies: 71
» Views: 1484
Little project
Today 11:11 AM
» Replies: 40
» Views: 614
Female Dwarf Gourami
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Today 10:36 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 112
Cleaning filter/pump, why's it never work after cl...
Last Post: Maz
Today 10:35 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 31
How many fish to add at once
Last Post: plankton
Today 09:52 AM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 100
Jon's TroublesomeTank
Today 09:22 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 406
Snail habits
Today 09:19 AM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 1626

Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Big Grin 
Day Three of our new tank. There’s going to be some Annie technical talk here  Big Grin

Substrate, three rocks and five plants added. Driftwood still soaking.

Filter up and running with hula hoops and filter peat.

Now to add the liquid stuff they sent with the tank

1/ Easy Life - Easy Start

2/ Easy Life - Filter Medium

Reading my post Tell Me Like I’m a Five Year Old, this is the step before starting the cycling, as Jota was so helpful to list for me.

*runs off to read again* to double check !
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
Not going the Ammonia route, Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the tap water, then dose with Ammonia using the calculator on here, no need for Easystart. JMO.

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

[Image: J81tL24l.jpg]
Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2018, 12:54 PM)wingnut55 Wrote: Not going the Ammonia route, Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the tap water, then dose with Ammonia using the calculator on here, no need for Easystart. JMO.

Ian.

Well I was, got some ammonia today

Why not use the Easy Start ?

Our chlorine results are 0

arrrghhhh sorry confused.com
Bikini Bottom - 168l
Bronze, Peppered  & Albino Cory, Black Widows, Cherry Barbs, Green Tiger Barb (rescues), Amanos.
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
So you have no Chlorine or chloramine in your water Annie, if so that's good, the reason I said you just need to use Ammonia is its cheaper, and you just need to use the dosing calculator on here for your volume and dosage. But as you had the EASY-Life stuff with the tank you might as well use it. 

Not trying to confuse you.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
The easy start and other similar products (tetra safe start for example) ate normally bacteria additives that you put in and put a small number of fish in with it straight away and monitor the levels. There are only a couple that actually work; tetra safe start, dr tims one and only and seachem stability (if I remember correctly). However if these dont work you can end up doing a fish in cycle which would be harmful to your fish and you would end up doing daily water changes until the filter bacteria catches up.
Thats why the ammonia method is safe as the bacteria are already established in an abundance before you add yor fish, so any waste they produce should be dealt with Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Just calculate the amount of Ammonia for your tank volume, remember to subtract for substrate and rocks and décor from the total water volume and dose accordingly.

Ian. 

Calculator is here.

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=12
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2018, 01:16 PM)wingnut55 Wrote: Not trying to confuse you.

Aw no It’s ok, I’m just trying to get my head around it all. Don’t want to mess up things  Tongue
Bikini Bottom - 168l
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
Ok we are going in, decided to use the freebie stuff and see what it does.

No fish in, so as long as it’s short if that makes sense Wink
Bikini Bottom - 168l
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • wingnut55
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2018, 01:52 PM)SpanishAnnie Wrote: Ok we are going in, decided to use the freebie stuff and see what it does.

Good luck. Have you got water testing kit, you will need to test regularly for Ammonia and Nitrite.

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2018, 02:01 PM)wingnut55 Wrote:
(21-12-2018, 01:52 PM)SpanishAnnie Wrote: Ok we are going in, decided to use the freebie stuff and see what it does.

Good luck. Have you got water testing kit, you will need to test regularly for Ammonia and Nitrite.

Ian.

Yep, thats arrived now....eeee excited to see what happens to the water hahaha crazy how the bugs gets ya !!!
Bikini Bottom - 168l
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2018, 02:05 PM)SpanishAnnie Wrote:
(21-12-2018, 02:01 PM)wingnut55 Wrote:

Ian.

Yep, thats arrived now....eeee excited to see what happens to the water hahaha crazy how the bugs gets ya !!!

Leave it a few days before testing.  Wink

Yes keeping fish is exciting, I was out of the game for over 20 years, but so happy to be doing it again.

Enjoy.

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes wingnut55's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
I have just awarded you five stars Annie, don't say I am not generous.  rofl 

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

Tank 80% stocked  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes wingnut55's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2018, 02:20 PM)wingnut55 Wrote: I have just awarded you five stars Annie, don't say I am not generous.  rofl 

Ian.

Ooo thank you, when does my prize arrive  Wink
Bikini Bottom - 168l
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2018, 01:28 PM)wingnut55 Wrote: Just calculate the amount of Ammonia for your tank volume, remember to subtract for substrate and rocks and décor from the total water volume and dose accordingly.

Ian. 

Calculator is here.

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=12

Think I’m doing something wrong.... I fill in details of tank size, filers, although I can’t add mine as it’s a Spanish one and can’t find it....then you can do a search on fish you want to stock and how many, am I missing something ,  can’t see anything about ammonia ? sorry  Sad
Bikini Bottom - 168l
The Kremlin - 58l 
Bronze Corys.
Thanks given by:
When have you got to test your water Huh
(っ◔◡◔)っ No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise ~ Lewis Carroll
Thanks given by: