This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Angels with a big appetite!
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 09:25 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 16
paint fumes
Last Post: Annie
Today 09:01 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 24
My 60l aqarium
Last Post: Annie
Today 08:57 AM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 459
The Whole Shebang
Last Post: Vale!
Today 08:50 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 375
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: fr499y
Today 08:27 AM
» Replies: 56
» Views: 809
Fr499y's 4 foot *always changing* tank log, thing....
Today 08:25 AM
» Replies: 233
» Views: 6940
hello from leeds
Today 08:20 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 71
When is the fishless cycle complete?
Last Post: plankton
Today 08:02 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 84
Cloudy Tank - Help?
Today 07:58 AM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 340
Happy Birthday Plankton!
Last Post: Gill
Yesterday 06:50 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 176
Cycling a tank
15-06-2019 09:06 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 365
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
14-06-2019 05:57 PM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 2129
Benvilles' Tanks
Last Post: Gingerlove05
14-06-2019 01:29 PM
» Replies: 460
» Views: 9294
Wingnut55's Juwel Rio 450 LED
Last Post: wingnut55
14-06-2019 12:54 PM
» Replies: 1629
» Views: 186573
food storage
14-06-2019 08:44 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 69

Heater issue
Hello

I had a 60 litre tank heated by a 100w fluval type e heater. About two weeks ago I upgraded to a new tank of 80 litres. Ever since, the heater has been struggling to keep temp. Originally the water was set at 26 C. When I changed tanks I assumed the heater would warm up the water as it's rated at much higher tank sizes. I set the heater temp to 27 C and eventually it turned green, indicating it had hit temp. Today I found a dead fish and the tank had dropped to 24C. In desperation I've set the heater to 30C and am keeping a close eye on the temp and will reduce the temp set on the heater to 27 C. The heater is 18 months old. Any ideas please?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
They can get a bit "iffy" with age and going to heat a larger volume of water, although I understand those heaters are pretty good and should be good for more than 18 months......

Sorry for your loss - what fish are you keeping at 26C?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
The ambient temperature in your house also affects how well a heater performs to a degree, especially with smaller bodies of water. If your house can get really cold at night, the heater might be having to work harder.

I think manufacturers make heater wattage recommendations for particular tank volumes based on how much higher you want the temp to be over ambient temperatures.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by:
As above, I've had to run a 300w and 200w in a 240L before because it was in a very cold room.
Other times I've ran 15w heaters in a 20L tank without issues, but now the same tank runs a 50w and sometimes struggles!
Thanks given by:
Further to what is already being said, 

I have had to turn my heater up to full today to cope with the cold weather that we are having.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2019, 03:35 AM)ashash Wrote: Further to what is already being said, 

I have had to turn my heater up to full today to cope with the cold weather that we are having.

Turning your heater up won’t help keep your temperature stable at a set point. If your heater is struggling to reach and stay stable at a set point then it’s undersized. Your more likely to have the heater fail on or off which will cause much bigger issues. I’d advise upgrading the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes SnowAddict's post:
  • Mossyboy
Thanks given by: