This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Purigen
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 11:15 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 28
Eheim Pickup. Good?
Yesterday 11:09 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 18
Fishless cycling advice please
Last Post: amanda5838
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Project Bertha 2
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 258
» Views: 5597
New, hi and some advice please
Last Post: Rysuk
Yesterday 08:53 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 346
Ooops!
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 07:34 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 247
RallyMatt’s 24L Nano Makeover : Bora Beach (Hopefu...
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 83
» Views: 1315
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 06:03 PM
» Replies: 627
» Views: 39513
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 05:34 PM
» Replies: 628
» Views: 21511
A couple of daft questions...
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 05:31 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 405
Tank updated - Any tips
Last Post: arky_4
Yesterday 04:17 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 63
Shopping list
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 12:54 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 332
48 Gallon stock ideas
Last Post: Stix
Yesterday 11:16 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 592
Planted tank lighting
Last Post: LexIcon
Yesterday 11:08 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 422
Cheltgirl's Sooperteeny Nano Tank
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 09:55 AM
» Replies: 72
» Views: 1356

Filter media
Would you recommend bio home or alfagrog filter media, I plan to follow pond guru on the set up but I see alfagrog is all the rage now lol and how often do you have to clean them
Thanks given by:
I've used both. I have about 5KG of alfagrog spare and currently run bio home maxi ultra on my 24L nano ( over kill but i had it left from a 300ish litre tank )
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • Kingoftheseas
Thanks given by:
(29-01-2019, 04:27 PM)fr499y Wrote: I've used both. I have about 5KG of alfagrog spare and currently run bio home maxi ultra on my 24L nano ( over kill but i had it left from a 300ish litre tank )

I suppose they do the same job might get some biohome off eBay then
Thanks given by:
alfagrog is a lot cheaper Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • Kingoftheseas
Thanks given by:
How accurate is the sales patter of a complete cycle pond guru uses,biohomes ability to reduce nitrates?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2019, 08:03 PM)piker Wrote: How accurate is the sales patter of a complete cycle pond guru uses,biohomes ability to reduce nitrates?

Subjectively is all I've seen.

Thing is, it would be easy to prove or disprove if he or anyone else were so inclined. Just set up 2 or 3 identical tanks, 20litres or something. Identical filters, same heaters, different media in each and add the same amount of nitrates to each tank and see if the one with biohome reduces nitrates the lowest over the months.

If you look at scientific papers on the O2 levels required for denitrification, there's arguments as to whether you'll get that in a fast flowing canister filter with highly oxygenated aquarium water or not.

I suspect if it was as easy as adding a certain type of media they might have tried it here...

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar...241400008X
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2019, 01:27 PM)Jota Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 08:03 PM)piker Wrote: How accurate is the sales patter of a complete cycle pond guru uses,biohomes ability to reduce nitrates?

Thing is, it would be easy to prove or disprove if he or anyone else were so inclined.  Just set up 2 or 3 identical tanks, 20litres or something.  Identical filters, same heaters, different media in each and add the same amount of nitrates to each tank and see if the one with biohome reduces nitrates the lowest over the months.

If you look at scientific papers on the O2 levels required for denitrification, there's arguments as to whether you'll get that in a fast flowing canister filter with highly oxygenated aquarium water or not.

I suspect if it was as easy as adding a certain type of media they might have tried it here...

Pond guru is a salesman, he is going to say an item he sells is the dogs danglies isn't he. A prime example is his YouTube "pimp my filter" vids, what does he use, yep Biohome. And vastly overpriced. JMO.  Wink

Ian.
Juwel Rio 450 LED

14 Rummynose Tetras
12 Glowlight Tetras
16 Cardinal Tetras
6 Red Phantom Tetras
6 Silvertip Tetras
6 Cherry Barbs
1 Pearl Gourami (female)
5 Sterbai Corys
3 Bandit Corys 
2 Panda Corys 
2 Bristlenose Plecs (how many)
4 Bolivian Rams

Tank 83% stocked with above housemates.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes wingnut55's post:
  • Jota
Thanks given by:
I have used Biohome mini ultra in the past but have returned to the Eheim Substratpro which I prefer.
Both are made from sintered glass so it's just my preference.

Hope it helps
6 foot (600L) South America Rio Guaporé river theme.

7 x Biotodoma cupido, 2 x wild caught Apistogramma trifasciata, 15 x Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 20 x Hyphessobrycon eques, 30 x Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, 13 x Corydoras Sterbai, 12 x Corydoras caudimaculatus, 9 x Otocinclus sp.
Thanks given by:
using the same substratpro in my Aqua-Pro 200 filter for the past 5 years now. still seems to work as it should.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2019, 06:36 PM)wingnut55 Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 01:27 PM)Jota Wrote:

Thing is, it would be easy to prove or disprove if he or anyone else were so inclined.  Just set up 2 or 3 identical tanks, 20litres or something.  Identical filters, same heaters, different media in each and add the same amount of nitrates to each tank and see if the one with biohome reduces nitrates the lowest over the months.

Pond guru is a salesman, he is going to say an item he sells is the dogs danglies isn't he. A prime example is his YouTube "pimp my filter" vids, what does he use, yep Biohome. And vastly overpriced. JMO.  Wink

Ian.

That's my thinking. It would be straightforward to prove or disprove the effect of that media in a properly set up test. Subjective reviews can only be of so much use. It's the same in the HiFi 'audiophile sphere with people swearing by 10 grand ethernet cables or Brilliant pebbles which "tune the room and audio system based on special physical properties of highly symmetrical crystal structures." They're just pebbles like the one's you put in aquariums!

As for his 'pimp my filter' series. I get the concept but wonder what impact on flow rate and maintenence frequency his approach might have. Bio media 'blocks' with biofilm anyway and putting fine filter floss before the bio media wont stop that. It's what the bacteria do.
[Image: 2Tsph5y]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jota's post:
  • wingnut55
Thanks given by: