This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Purigen
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 11:15 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 27
Eheim Pickup. Good?
Yesterday 11:09 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 17
Fishless cycling advice please
Last Post: amanda5838
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Project Bertha 2
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 258
» Views: 5596
New, hi and some advice please
Last Post: Rysuk
Yesterday 08:53 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 346
Ooops!
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 07:34 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 246
RallyMatt’s 24L Nano Makeover : Bora Beach (Hopefu...
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 83
» Views: 1313
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 06:03 PM
» Replies: 627
» Views: 39513
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 05:34 PM
» Replies: 628
» Views: 21509
A couple of daft questions...
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 05:31 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 405
Tank updated - Any tips
Last Post: arky_4
Yesterday 04:17 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 62
Shopping list
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 12:54 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 332
48 Gallon stock ideas
Last Post: Stix
Yesterday 11:16 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 590
Planted tank lighting
Last Post: LexIcon
Yesterday 11:08 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 420
Cheltgirl's Sooperteeny Nano Tank
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 09:55 AM
» Replies: 72
» Views: 1356

Green algae
Hi everyone, im new here. I have a question regarding my cichlid tank which runs at a stable ph8.2 i have an argonite sand substrate and crushed shells in the filter which help buffer the ph i believe. In my tank i have ocean rock on which one of the rock is startung to cover in a bright mint green algae. Its taken a long time as i first noticed it about 8 month ago and has just started showing on another rock which was touching this one. This green (algae?) is flat to the rock and is hard. Infact scrapping it with your finger nail as hard as you like will not remove it. It also seems to grow best when lights have been off or my blue lights have been on. I quite like the stuff tbh as it adds abit of colour to the rocks however if its something that is not good for my tank then i would rather take the rock out. Any input would be appreciated thankyou carl
I have pics just not sure how to upload them as its not doing anything when i attach them at the bottom
Thanks given by:
Malawi cichlids eat algae, thats there diet. If these are the cichlids you have then leave it there for them to eat. Infact, you want more and more to grow for them to munch on! ( free food, natural behaviour )
Thanks given by:
Hi and welcome to the site, think when you add a photo there’s a button that’s says ‘insert into post’ which you need to click as well.
Have a go, would love to see your tank. Wink

Thanks given by:
it will probs be this stuff.

[Image: malawi-biotope-aquarium-with-algae.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes fr499y's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Annie Wrote: Hi and welcome to the site, think when you add a photo there’s a button that’s says ‘insert into post’ which you need to click as well.

Thanks Annie, hope this works ie sent a few pics cause my tank always looks different depending on the light colour I use. Theres loads of combinations to choose so I never get bored lol Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Gullion17's post:
  • Annie, Jota
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2019, 10:16 PM)Gullion17 Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 02:10 PM)Annie Wrote: Hi and welcome to the site, think when you add a photo there’s a button that’s says ‘insert into post’ which you need to click as well.

Thanks Annie, hope this works ie sent a few pics cause my tank always looks different depending on the light colour I use. Theres loads of combinations to choose so I never get bored lol Big Grin

Wow  Smile Smart looking tank, great styling.

I’m very new to this fish keeping lark, just got my first eight fish today  Tongue so not sure what fish you have in there ?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Annie's post:
  • Gullion17
Thanks given by:
finally got pics working thanks to Annie  Smile . This is the algae I am on about, like I said its not soft it rock hard, even my plecs cant eat it  Big Grin and these pics seem to  catch the true colour well

[-] The following 1 user Likes Gullion17's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2019, 12:37 PM)fr499y Wrote: Malawi cichlids eat algae, thats there diet. If these are the cichlids you have then leave it there for them to eat. Infact, you want more and more to grow for them to munch on! ( free food, natural behaviour )
Thanks for the reply although my cichlids don't eat it....even my two plecs who I give the job of upkeep of the tank cant munch through it. They do a good job with rest of tank though its spotless. I think this stuff is too hard for them  Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(09-02-2019, 10:21 PM)Annie Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 10:16 PM)Gullion17 Wrote:

Wow  Smile Smart looking tank, great styling.

I’m very new to this fish keeping lark, just got my first eight fish today  Tongue  so not sure what fish you have in there ?
Theres a mixture of peacocks and haps and a couple of quite peaceful Malawi cichids…..they all seem to get on relatively well so I don't really get too much bullying or fights breaking out  Big Grin  I know cichlids are reknowned for fighting but fingers crossed ive found a decent mix plus all the rocks and caves help. What fish have you got?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gullion17's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Hi. This is most likely an algae. You are using ocean rock which is mostly calcium. Algae that grows on ocean rock can be as hard as the rock itself. It’s similar to the hard algae that you get in saltwater tanks growing on the live ocean rock. My marine tank was covered in purple algae just like that. It was a good job I love purple!! I did have a couple of small sections with green and even and orange.

It is not harmful and can be left if you don’t mind the discolouration. To get it off you would have to chip it with something sharp like a small chisel, out of the tank obviously.

How long are your lights on? Under/excessive lighting can cause algae and can be hard to get a good balance.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank containing 10 gorgeous goldies Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise rofl Batman Snails X2, 1 Horned Nerite, 1 Tracked Nerite

[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • Gullion17
Thanks given by: