This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Peat or not?
Last Post: LadyDay
Today 01:51 PM
» Replies: 29
» Views: 258
An interesting read
Last Post: Netsu
Today 01:39 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 148
Jens Tanks
Last Post: Jen1981
Today 01:34 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 519
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Ric
Today 01:30 PM
» Replies: 772
» Views: 30641
Simple wildlife pond
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:56 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 105
Once more...
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:53 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 36
Marty's tank log
Last Post: Marty.h
Today 12:51 PM
» Replies: 62
» Views: 969
Hola from sunny Lancs
Last Post: Mol_PMB
Today 12:49 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 68
festivum Behaviour
Last Post: Stephen
Today 12:08 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 145
Ric's Rena
Today 11:55 AM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 318
Disappearing shrimp - how to tempt them out?
Last Post: Mfisher
Today 11:44 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 91
Best sand for planted
Today 10:59 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 60
Urgent camallanus worms suspected
Today 10:44 AM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 159
Hello all!
Last Post: plankton
Today 10:23 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 104
SnowAddicts predictable Upgrade
Last Post: plankton
Today 10:07 AM
» Replies: 278
» Views: 22361

Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank and The Barbarium!!
Well that was a long day! Finally got to the point I can start my tank blog.

The reasoning behind the upgrade:
I had 3 fancy goldies (Galileo, Copernicus and Kepler) set up and living in my Fluval Roma 200 for almost a year. If they grew really big I would look for a 240 to do a small upgrade to give them the room they need. Also running an Aquamanta EFX400. All fine and dandy.

Just before Christmas a client of mine mentioned her sons had gone online, ordered some fish and a tank. The fish arrived before the tank (!!) by the time I saw her the tank had arrived. Turned out they’d bought an 18 litre tank that had an in hood filter with an 800lph powerhead attached (yes it was like a washing machine) and 2 baby Black Moors.

I explained they would need a much bigger tank and do a fish-in cycle etc. The mum was still spitting feathers about the whole thing and unbelievably angry at her kids so the 2 babies (Hubble and Halley) are now in my 200.

The 2 babies were in the little tank for about 3 weeks and Halley, the teeny tiny one really wasn’t doing well. No growth, hadnt been eating, her dorsal and anal fins were tightly clamped and her tail fins were straggly. They looked like spaghetti . Hubble was fine and settled in quickly. It took a week to get Halley eating frozen brine shrimp and bloodworm but once she’d nibbled a bit she seemed to realise what she’d been missing out on and started eating for England . Considering at one point I thought I was going to lose her it’s lovely to see her darting about bullying Copernicus (4 times her size) out the way for food. She is now growing fast and her fins are back to normal. In 6 weeks

So instead of an upgrade to a nice sensible Roma 240 we needed to go big.....very big.

Finally found the 5x2x2 online. Collected this morning and got it home. Went much easier than we thought and got to work sorting it.

This is where we started
[Image: d454512851722aa544152bfe339f04cf.jpg]

I’ll be using the led light unit from my current tank (I’ll be blogging about the ‘bodge’ needed to make it work) moving the Aquamanta filter over and putting in a new heater to keep about 22C.

We also have a Fluval Roma 125 that now only has a BN plec and 4 neons that are on their last legs so they’ll all move in too. I know having the neons in there is not ideal but the goldies are still small and the neons won’t be around for much longer.

There are also about 37000 red cherry shrimp. I’m going to put them in too as a couple accidentally got into the goldie tank when we moved a piece of bogwood over and couldn’t catch them but the fish ignore them and they’ve now been breeding happily (anyone want some? lol) so a few more aren’t going to hurt.

The APS 1200 filter will also move over until I’ve saved enough pennies for a Fluval FX6

The rest of today has been spent cleaning the tank and sanding down the unit ready to paint tomorrow

This is the point we decided to quit for the night
[Image: cbcdf0e3de487eb1863417c63d88dd27.jpg]

That was a bit of an essay (oi, you at the back, wake up!!) sorry

There’s loads still to do before we can get things wet so there will be plenty more to come. Watch this space......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank Smile
12L The Startank Aquaprise - Decommissioned Sad
200L The Barbarium….Green Tiger Barbs and Nerite snails
20L Nano Marine.....stocking in progress!
[-] The following 6 users Like Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie, Gingerlove05, GruntPuppy, Jota, MrC1989, plankton
Thanks given by:
Great to read all what’s been going on, phew, what a tale indeed !!

And did I read that right ? ....37000 shrimp

Looking forward to seeing all your hard work come together and photos of your new additions , well done you 🏻🏻🏻
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by:
Well I haven’t counted the shrimp but it seems like there’s thousands

I really didn’t think the stowaways would survive in the goldie tank but there’s dozens in there too now. Seems we are good at ‘shrimping’. We have 3 tanks running currently and all have shrimp taking over!!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheltgirl's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
I’m still awake! Honest! Big Grin
I look forward to seeing your progress anf the pics onces its set up Smile
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by:
Thanks Gingerlove. There will be lots of pics and possible panic moments before it’s all done!

Always worth it in the end though.

Thanks given by:
Hello Smile the tank and stand are gonna look great with a lick of paint and a bit of elbow grease. (I remember you from the pfk forum, once they went Facebook that was me out and this forum is sooo much friendlier and better)
Anyways i do love a 'proper' sized goldie tank so will be taking a keen interest.
(In my long past youth I had 2 goldfish that progressed from bowl to tank to pond ..not the longest age but I did have them for 10 and 13 years)
Hope everything goes to plan.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2019, 09:43 AM)Sarah Wrote: Hello Smile the tank and stand are gonna look great with a lick of paint and a bit of elbow grease. (I remember you from the pfk forum, once they went Facebook that was me out and this forum is sooo much friendlier and better)
Anyways i do love a 'proper' sized goldie tank so will be taking a keen interest.
(In my long past youth I had 2 goldfish that progressed from bowl to tank to pond ..not the longest age but I did have them for 10 and 13 years)
Hope everything goes to plan.

Thanks Sarah. It’s only in the last few days I decided to go forum-ing again and made a Facebook account purely to find the PFK one again. It’s not a forum tho it’s just lots of posts and I found it all a bit muddled so a bit of googling later and I’m here! I much prefer this format as you can follow people’s stories and journeys. Much much better .

From what I’ve read so far the people here are friendly and helpful and I’m hoping I can help here and there too.

• fr499y
Thanks given by:
Very nice. Smile
Look forward to the finished setup. Big Grin
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ok. Bit of a delay but first coat of magnolia high gloss paint went on this morning. The tin says to leave 16 hours between coats so that takes us to about midnight tonight so there won’t be any more progress until tomorrow now . Still have the doors to sand and paint too but they can be done at a later stage.

I am going to be using a camping sleeping mat on the unit instead of polystyrene to sit the tank on. Thinking of using a spray adhesive? The mat is slightly absorbent. Unless anyone else has tried a similar thing and has advice?

[Image: 27a9f9bd5dbb3c5deadd0e4ded2d096d.jpg]

• Annie
Thanks given by:
Fab, looking very smart indeed !
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - Shrimp and Cory 
Thanks given by: