This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Purigen
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 11:15 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 28
Eheim Pickup. Good?
Yesterday 11:09 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 18
Fishless cycling advice please
Last Post: amanda5838
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 6
Project Bertha 2
Yesterday 10:53 PM
» Replies: 258
» Views: 5597
New, hi and some advice please
Last Post: Rysuk
Yesterday 08:53 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 347
Ooops!
Last Post: Cheltgirl
Yesterday 07:34 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 247
RallyMatt’s 24L Nano Makeover : Bora Beach (Hopefu...
Last Post: RallyMatt
Yesterday 06:47 PM
» Replies: 83
» Views: 1315
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 06:03 PM
» Replies: 627
» Views: 39514
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 05:34 PM
» Replies: 628
» Views: 21511
A couple of daft questions...
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 05:31 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 406
Tank updated - Any tips
Last Post: arky_4
Yesterday 04:17 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 63
Shopping list
Last Post: CrashEd
Yesterday 12:54 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 332
48 Gallon stock ideas
Last Post: Stix
Yesterday 11:16 AM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 592
Planted tank lighting
Last Post: LexIcon
Yesterday 11:08 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 422
Cheltgirl's Sooperteeny Nano Tank
Last Post: plankton
Yesterday 09:55 AM
» Replies: 72
» Views: 1357

Very new
Hi everyone, 
I’m very new to this hobby, and joined the forum earlier today.
I’ve bought my tank today, an Aquatropic 65L, and am going to get all other equipment except for fish of course, on Friday when I’ll have time to set things up.
I’ve been reading up all I can about how to set up and cycle, but admit it does seem rather tricky, I, hoping it’s not so complicated once I get started. Some articles advise adding food, and some say add Ammonia? Which please, and is Ammonia available at the aquarium/fish suppliers? 

Also I’m hoping to run my tank as a community, I’ve been advised for the size of my tank to get 3x 6 fish shoals of Tetras/Platy/Molly types and perhaps a Gourami and  a Shrimp/catfish, does that sound a sensible number for the size of my tank. 
Thank you for your ideas and help.
Gill.
Thanks given by:
Hi Gill, and welcome to the site. I a newbie too, although you wouldn’t think it with all my posts....I ask a lot of questions, which was encouraged when you’re starting off with this great hobby. Everyone is very helpful and will guide you on your way.

I’ve just finished cycling our 168l tank with the help of everyone here.

Would recommend you use ammonia which you can get in general hardware stores or maybe the supermarket ? I live in Spain and got it from a hardware type shop.

Read the guide to cycling which can be found by clicking on Guides & Resources you’ll see at the top of the page right hand side.....I read that time and time again Big Grin

Then ask as many questions as you need, there’ll always be someone here to help.

Good luck and keep us posted !!

Thanks given by:
(10-02-2019, 09:49 PM)Annie Wrote: Hi Gill, and welcome to the site. I  a newbie too, although you wouldn’t think it with all my posts....I ask a lot of questions, which was encouraged when you’re starting off with this great hobby.  Everyone is very helpful and will guide you on your way.

I’ve just finished cycling our 168l tank with the help of everyone here.

Would recommend you use ammonia which you can get in general hardware stores or maybe the supermarket ? I live in Spain and got it from a hardware type shop.

Read the guide to cycling which can be found by clicking on Guides & Resources you’ll see at the top of the page right hand side.....I read that time and time again Big Grin

Then ask as many questions as you need, there’ll always be someone here to help.

Good luck and keep us posted !!
Thanks given by:
Thanks Annie, I think I’ll be reading it time and time again too. 
And it’s good to know that I can ask plenty of questions, because I’m sure I’ll have to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gill's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Gill Smile
We normally recommend using Jeyes Kleenoff ammonia, it can be found on online not sure what stores (amazon usually have it). You can cycle the tank using ammonia or fish food but it is much easier to control when using ammonia.
As Annie has said there is a guide:
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/misc.ph...elp&hid=11

We will help guide you with any issues/questions Smile
With regard to stocking you will want to look up your water hardness, this can normally be found on your water supplier website. Its measured in degrees german(dgh), clark (english), french, or ppm. This will determine whether you can keep hard or soft water fish.
 😇 Heaven doesn’t want me...
And Hell is afraid I’ll take over! 😈
Thanks given by: Gill
Hi and welcome to the forum Gill Smile
Welcome to the forum. Big Grin
There are two ammonia products that are available from the LFS, one is Dr.Tim's, the other is made by Waterlife, but they are far more expensive than the Jeyes. Wink
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Oh heck, I guess from the replies that ammonia isn’t freely available in the UK. Good you can get it from your aquarium supplies shop Wink

Thanks given by:
(11-02-2019, 10:57 AM)Annie Wrote: Oh heck, I guess from the replies that ammonia isn’t freely available in the UK. Good you can get it from your aquarium supplies shop Wink

It is - from shops like Robert Dyas, even Homebase, B&Q, not sure about Wilkes, but Wilkos may stock it.
Too many people buying online these days..... Wink Big Grin
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like plankton's post:
  • Annie, Gill
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2019, 01:18 PM)plankton Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:57 AM)Annie Wrote: Oh heck, I guess from the replies that ammonia isn’t freely available in the UK. Good you can get it from your aquarium supplies shop Wink

It is - from shops like Robert Dyas, even Homebase, B&Q, not sure about Wilkes, but Wilkos may stock it.
Too many people buying online these days..... Wink Big Grin

Ah did wonder if it was a prohibited product. Easy to get then.

Thanks given by: