This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Please help ID this unknown creature
Last Post: Toeknee
Today 11:39 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 23
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 11:37 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 50
Elf and murder ...
Last Post: Gill
Today 09:16 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 137
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: RallyMatt
Today 07:39 PM
» Replies: 670
» Views: 41394
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Bora Beach [emoji267]
Last Post: Gill
Today 04:11 PM
» Replies: 176
» Views: 3233
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Today 10:50 AM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 1227
Fry
Last Post: plankton
Today 07:57 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 78
New Users
Today 07:53 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 153
Urgent please help
Today 07:40 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 326
Powerhead recommendations, please
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:14 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 29
Took the dog for a walk....
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Yesterday 08:05 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 522
Refinishing MDF - Can I get some advice, please?
Last Post: GruntPuppy
Yesterday 06:14 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 335
Cycling a tank
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 01:51 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 78
Sci-Fi
Last Post: GruntPuppy
Yesterday 10:45 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 1169
Stocking advice
Last Post: Jota
22-05-2019 10:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 141

Problems in new tank
I have a new 60l tank 3 weeks old with some itinerant young gold fish. They will go to a pond outside shortly. I have a couple of problems.  I have black filament algae on some of the plants. I was hoping it might decrease with more plants but it seems to be getting worse. I don't particularly want to use an algicide if at all possible. The other problem is that some of the plants seem to be dying, in particular the sassiflora type. At the moment I only have test strips but they indicate that apart from N02 a little high everything is OK. The only test I haven't done is for phosphates which I understand can affect algae. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Squirting hydrogen peroxide on algae will kill it, but it is completely harmless as it breaks down into water soon after contact with water. How long are your lights on for? Do you use fertilisers? What substrate do you have?
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2019, 10:22 PM)PJN Wrote: Squirting hydrogen peroxide on algae will kill it, but it is completely harmless as it breaks down into water soon after contact with water. How long are your lights on for? Do you use fertilisers? What substrate do you have?

Thanks. I have some peroxide, 3%, but it has phosphoric acid and methylparaben in it. I think a trip to the chemists tomorrow to get some unadulterated would be better. The lighting time I've reduced to about 8 hours. I also have a dimmer and have dimmed the lights during this time too. At the beginning I put one dose of fertilizer in but not since. The substrate is volcanic stone rich in iron topped with course then fine aqarium gravel. The pump is on contiously and the water changed weekly. (20% approx) Do I turn the pump off when using peroxide? I presume so as the flow will dilute it too quickly.
Thanks given by:
I don't turn the filter off when using H2O2.... Wink
If any nitrite (NO2) is there then you need to do a large water change. It will damage the fish.
I'm presuming you're doing a fish-in cycle with the goldies.......so daily water changes to keep any ammonia and nitrite down as far as possible.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: Mito
Also use a product like Seachem Safe or Prime ( if you can get it in spain ) Or a good water conditioner! I'm sure your aware but make sure its treated tap ( declorinated with water conditioner )
Thanks for the replies. A conditioner was added at the beginning. I bought some proxide today but the only unadulterated I could get is 30%. So if my calculations are correct I need to dilute it in a ratio of 1:5.  I'll pluck up courage and dose the plants tomorrow.. I did another test today with the strips and the NO2 was zero, NO3 about 30 and all the rest were within limits. I'm getting there slowly. When the fish are evicted I'll leave the aquarium empty for a couple of weeks before adding new stock and setting the parameters to suit the fish, whatever they'll be.
I'm still bothered about some of the plants. Some are growing well, others not so. I wonder if there is too much light or algae have taken hold.
Thanks given by:
You need to add conditioner every time you do a water change.......unless I've misunderstood what you've said......???
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
(14-03-2019, 08:51 AM)plankton Wrote: You need to add conditioner every time you do a water change.......unless I've misunderstood what you've said......???

Many people misunderstand me, especially my wife  Smile
No I haven't used a conditioner at every water change. I'm going to change today so I'll add some. We are not on mains water here, a tanker comes when needed with water from an underground river. No electricity either, solar panels and a generator.
Thanks given by:
I'd use it to be on the safe side. A tanker ( being all metal ) can leach something into the water that could be harmful for the fish but not humans, and the water conditioner should bind/remove them. Always use it when adding water to the tank, just to be on the safe side Smile
The joys of living in Spain hey...I’m guessing you’re in the campo, lovely and quiet and lots of interesting wildlife Smile
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - planted WIP
Thanks given by: