This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Please help ID this unknown creature
Last Post: Toeknee
Today 11:39 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 23
The Marine with No Name!! Nano Reef-ish
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Today 11:37 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 50
Elf and murder ...
Last Post: Gill
Today 09:16 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 137
DoubleDutch's tanks
Last Post: RallyMatt
Today 07:39 PM
» Replies: 670
» Views: 41394
RallyMatt’s 60L Cube: Bora Beach [emoji267]
Last Post: Gill
Today 04:11 PM
» Replies: 176
» Views: 3233
grommit's (Brian)
Last Post: grommit
Today 10:50 AM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 1227
Fry
Last Post: plankton
Today 07:57 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 78
New Users
Today 07:53 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 153
Urgent please help
Today 07:40 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 326
Powerhead recommendations, please
Last Post: Jota
Yesterday 10:14 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 29
Took the dog for a walk....
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Yesterday 08:05 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 522
Refinishing MDF - Can I get some advice, please?
Last Post: GruntPuppy
Yesterday 06:14 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 335
Cycling a tank
Last Post: Gingerlove05
Yesterday 01:51 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 78
Sci-Fi
Last Post: GruntPuppy
Yesterday 10:45 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 1169
Stocking advice
Last Post: Jota
22-05-2019 10:32 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 141

Snow ball pleco
Hi everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on a snowball pleco that I have had for about 6 months now but has not grown a mm yet.
It is about an inch long, I thought I would pick a small one in the store so I could watch it grow but that plan didn’t work out that well.
It seems healthy enough when it’s pottering about when the lights have dimmed in the evenings. It shares the bottom of a 125 litre tank with 6 sterbi corys and a sometimes grumpy rubber lip pleco, which have grown as expected.
I feed the bottom dwellers of the tank hikari algae wafers, bug bites sinking pellets, repashy soilent green and occasional frozen bloodworms.
I’m not sure if it’s getting enough nutrition to grow or it is being stunted somehow.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome to the site. I’m a newbie to Fishkeeping so sorry I can’t offer anything, well except do you know if it’s a fish that is slow growing ?
I’m sure one of the other more experienced members will be along to advise.
Enjoy the forum Smile
Bikini Bottom - 168l - community
The Kremlin - 58l - planted WIP
Thanks given by:
Hi Annie and thanks for the welcome.

I was hoping for a while that it was a slow grower but it hasn’t grown any in the time I’ve had it.
I’m a bit unsure on the best foods to feed them and what time considering they seem to be mostly nocturnal.
I was expecting some growth on it though as I believe it is an omnivore and should be eating some algae and perhaps wood.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Strettle24's post:
  • Annie
Thanks given by:
mix the food up, meaty and veggie diet! Make sure you have plenty of flow and oxygen getting into the tank and keep ontop of the water changes. They like prestine water!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice,

I have a heavily planted tank which has not got much flow. The return from the canister filter agitates the surface well but I do have a power head that I can put in to add a bit more flow. Could this cause stunted growth.
I change about a third of the water weeklyish, but I must admit it’s been a while since I tested my water.
Can you recommend any foods for this pleco?
Thanks given by:
Fresh veg especially courgette and red pepper.
I have BN fry that are nearly 3", so there must be something off in the tank.
Can you post a pic of the snowball and another of the tank?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
I will get some pics posted soon, it might be tonight before I see the plec again.
I tested my water last night with the master test kit. Ammonia and nitrite were 0, ph was a little low at 6.4/6.6 and the nitrates were a bit high at 40/80 ppm, I have a hard time reading these tests though.
I have been running co2 and I don’t know if this is dropping my ph, I do run it quite low though and it shows good on the drop checker.
I carried out a water change and some maintenance last night and the canister was cleaned out a couple of weeks ago, monthly cleans keep it from getting too dirty.
Thanks given by:
Is this the one ? https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/spe...ies_id=204

Personally I think the lack of the right protein is causing this. Also the Corys and probably the Rubberlip need more meaty food providing the right protein minerals and vitamins.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Ph is fine, and nitrates aren't a problem here at those values.
I think DD may be correct as to lack of protein or vitamins.
I'm not sure whether these need wood for digestion or not. I have wood in any tank I have plecs in, just in case. Wink
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Double Dutch, the link certainly looks like the correct pleco. Mine is a similar sort of size as well.

Do you have any suggestions on brands of foods and also on time of feeding? Do you feed them when the lights are on or when turned off?

Plankton, I have a couple of pieces of bog wood in there, I had heard they like to munch on it
Thanks given by: