This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
<
[-]
Latest Threads
Decapsulated Artemia cysts
Last Post: black ghost
Today 03:29 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 38
Phantom bantam’s first tank Aqua Nano 40 (55litre)
Last Post: phantombantam
Today 03:26 PM
» Replies: 153
» Views: 6621
PJN's 135 Litre Mekong River
Last Post: Jota
Today 03:11 PM
» Replies: 701
» Views: 57419
Bog wood with plants
Last Post: fr499y
Today 02:46 PM
» Views: 44
Cheltgirl’s Sooperhooge Goldie Tank
Last Post: PJN
Today 02:46 PM
» Replies: 205
» Views: 4267
Rustic slate in fish tank, safe?
Last Post: PJN
Today 02:43 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 75
Fluval 240 lighting
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Today 01:59 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 38
Condensation on lights
Last Post: fr499y
Today 01:20 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 60
Annie’s Tank - Bikini Bottom
Last Post: Annie
Today 12:05 PM
» Replies: 531
» Views: 15088
hydra1000 filter
Last Post: Davo 1967
Today 10:34 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 30
The F Bomb (Food)
Last Post: Annie
Today 09:17 AM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 1881
Adding liquid CO2
Last Post: Pleco Fan
Yesterday 09:05 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 385
wild plec vids
Last Post: DoubleDutch
Yesterday 08:55 PM
» Views: 86
External filter risk!
Last Post: Mossyboy
Yesterday 08:23 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 155
Going back to the first idea...
Last Post: MrC1989
Yesterday 07:03 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 242

Bucephalandra Leaves turned yellow
Photo 
HI,

I have some bucephalandra in my tank for about a year.
Now some leaves have developed tiny holes in it and some leaves has turned yellow.
Can anyone diagnose the issue.

[Image: IMG-20190316-091847.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've not had buceph, but isn't it a low-light plant? If so, then maybe the lights are too bright or on too long for it?
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! Big Grin

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian

All my posts are from a desktop.
Mobiles are way too complicated for me, although I do have one now. Wink
Thanks given by: hasitha
Hello and welcome to the site !
Cool I’m a goofy goober  Cool
What fertiliser do you use? Is it old growth that has gone yellow or new growth? It could point towards some sort of deficiency.
(17-03-2019, 09:58 AM)plankton Wrote: I've not had buceph, but isn't it a low-light plant? If so, then maybe the lights are too bright or on too long for it?

Yes, it grows on low light environments too. but it grow more on high light environments. Other buce i have in the same tank are doing extremely fine.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2019, 02:51 PM)stuaz Wrote: What fertiliser do you use? Is it old growth that has gone yellow or new growth? It could point towards some sort of deficiency.

I use ocean free p1 and trace. it's old leaves which turns yellow prematurely.
Thanks given by:
Never had a problem with buces. Keep the the same as you would anubias and you can't go wrong. Yellowing is usually a lack of something but can't remember what exactly.
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2019, 06:03 AM)hasitha Wrote:
(17-03-2019, 02:51 PM)stuaz Wrote: What fertiliser do you use? Is it old growth that has gone yellow or new growth? It could point towards some sort of deficiency.

I use ocean free p1 and trace. it's old leaves which turns yellow prematurely.

Not aware of that Fertiliser but old growth going yellow normally means a lack of nitrogen or phosphate. I forget which.
Thanks given by:
Having dredged my head for anything that should remain from A Level biology I came up with "etiolation".

A quick Google to remind me of what it means suggests that this is due to insufficient light and that it usually affects a whole plant. However Bucephelandra leaves are particularly opaque ; so if it's the lower/lowest leaves that are yellowing, then that might be an explanation perhaps. If so, I think I'd just nip them off with sharp scissors if I were worried about their looks.

A further explanation, as mentioned above, may be a mineral deficiency. While one might again expect such a condition to affect the whole plant, maybe  leaves that are already 'stressed' because of some other factor (e.g. insufficient light) may show symptoms first, perhaps. The two elements I've just seen mentioned in this context are: iron and potassium. However ...

My Bucephelandra seem to do fine even though I don't look after them at all. They live in blackwater, and the only minerals they're offered (there are none in the water I start off with) are those that either leach from decomposing leaves or that have travelled firstly through whiteworms' guts and then through fishes' guts. The origin of the latter  minerals is decomposing kitchen (vegetable) scraps which are mineral-rich. But my fish aren't fed every day, so the amount of minerals that find their way from wormery to aquarium water must be very tiny. If you're dosing with a proprietary fertiliser, plus trace, and leaves are still yellowing then I don't think on the face of it that mineral deficiency alone can explain it.

From your picture it doesn't look as though the yellowing leaves are significantly shaded either. So maybe it's just them getting a bit old?!

Left-field thoughts are: the plant(s) may be gearing up to flower and thus concentrating their energy elsewhere other than established leaves ; or their roots may be picking up something the plants don't like from the substrate they're attached to and storing it in leaves which then die back ; or the water contains an over-concentration of some minerals.

Incidentally, Bucephalandra grow naturally above the surface in rivers, attached to rocks etc. They're flood-tolerant, so they can survive immersed (as we know). There's a word for that habit but I've forgotten what it is - all I can remember is that it begins with 'r' and it's got a 'z' in it!

This has been a welcome distraction from my next task. But I suppose I might as well get on with it now. 《Sigh!》
Chocolate Gourami
False Eight-Banded Barbs
Liquorice Gourami
Phoenix Rasbora
Pseudomugil sp. "iriani" Rainbows
Sakura Shrimp
Sparkling Gourami
Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbows
Food : anything that appears in an outside bath, plus: blackworms, daphnia, earthworms, microworms, moina, waterlouse
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vale!'s post:
  • plankton
Thanks given by: