Swtching off filters.

Food, feeding and diet.
wilkinss77
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Jon_D wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 18:31 pm When I sprinkle the crushed flakes on top of the water during feeing time, I see a lot of the food is swallowed up into Fluval filter and lost to the fish. Would it be worthwhile to switch the filter off for say 20 - 30 minutes while feeding the fish?
Not for as long as that.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

I turn my filters off for 10 mins or so each day for feeding. To stop the food getting blown round the tank.
Worrying what @black ghost says as my filters are off for probably an hour or more a week when doing a water change.
lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:29 am I turn my filters off for 10 mins or so each day for feeding. To stop the food getting blown round the tank.
Worrying what @black ghost says as my filters are off for probably an hour or more a week when doing a water change.
Don’t worry. The amount of oxygen in your water plays a part in the length of time the bacteria in your filter will last, but having a filter off for a couple of hours isn’t that much of a disaster.

4-5 hours should be fine so I wouldn’t panic if you’ve turned it off for more than 2 to 3 minutes!
311l 48x18x22

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:29 am I turn my filters off for 10 mins or so each day for feeding. To stop the food getting blown round the tank.
You don’t have a huge bioload...