What a surpise! New life!

Food, feeding and diet.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

I have just been clearing out the dead and decaying leaves from some plants in the tank and just happened to see some eggs on them! This morning I did notice that my Corys were acting in a very romantic, if rough, manner; the boys were chasing the large lady around the tank at high speed. So this must be the result of their exertions. Taking a more thorough search I can see about 20-30 more hidden away at the very bottom far corner of the tank.
I have placed the leaves where the eggs reside in the “kindergarten tank” . I do the water change every Wednesday and ATM the water is too deep where those eggs are. Therefore assuming they were laid this morning, will it be okay to wait until the Wednesday, when the level will be low enough for me to reach them? I don't want the Zebra Danios to find them first. Thinking about the danger they are in I might lower the water level just enough to be able to reach them, now.
Next, is there anywhere which sells live Infusoria?. I have plenty of frozen worms, and other stuff etc. which I suppose to can us to feed the fry.
I have tried making my own culture, but failed miserably. Anyway, I don't think I have time now.
Strange to say, that I am quite excited at the thought of those eggs hatching and blossoming. (It's never too old, folks! :D

Now I will humbly ask for the expert assistance I know this forum possesses! ;)
Any, ANY advice will be most welcome.

Found this....any good?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpet-Liqui ... =8-1-fkmr0
Last edited by Jon_D on Mon Feb 03, 2020 13:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sie84
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 26 times

Congratulations mate, looking forward to seeing the outcome of this 😀
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I wouldn't use Liquifry, it pollutes way too quickly. You have to do water changes at most an hour after every feed to avoid problems.
If the tank has been set up for a while, there should be some biofilm/infusoria around on plants and decor.
The other day we found some infusoria tablets, I think it was on ebay, but I can't remember the name now - it's in a thread somewhere......Protogen!!!
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... ria#p47598
;)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Thanks PLANKTON, gerat advice as usual. I am strudying YOUTUBE UNIVERSITY ATM, getting as much info as possible. I'll order Protogen now...and keep you informed. Busy watching "Marks Aquatics", from whom I have learned (and forgotten!) a lot. ;)

P.S Funny you should mention , Protogen , I was just reading about it prior to giving you an answer!
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Just ordered Catappa leaves as well.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

I could only save 6 eggs. Therer were only a few on the back of the tank, and by the time I managed to get down there, they were gone. But the survivors are in the " incubation" tank, and with luck a few will hatch in the next couple of days. Temp is at 75 degrees, no plants or anything else. Water taken straight from main tank,
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Fingers crossed then. :)
Jon_D
Posting Legend

I've had a good look at the eggs, and they are still attached to the leaves in the Incubation tank. I don't think they were fertilised; I will give them another day. Tomorrow is water change day, and with the level much lower I may find more on the big tanks wall. :-( Sad.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Well you know what they say, if you first don't succeed...
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

No black dots in them?