Food for very young Discus...

Food, feeding and diet.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

There's a reason why you shouldn't give discus bloodworm too often, but I can't find my notes with the reason.......probably digestive abilities......???
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Freeze dried bloodworm float, they do not come in block form, if your discus feed from the surface then np. my juv won't even try them.
CactusMel
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Hi Pleco...
I thought if I pre-soak them, they might sink, but for £2.20 it's no big deal. How do you feed your Black worms? I know they are in blocks, but does it sink? when dry. The same with granules, I wanted to try something cheap before spending £12 or so....

Mel.
CactusMel

Post by CactusMel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 15:58 pm

Hi All,
I was thinking that White worms would be good food for the Discus! Not having tried them for the last 30 years or so. In those days I think we feed them on bread (White) dipped in milk, but thinks seem to have changed now. One chap on youtube has it seems a culture going for 10 years on Brown bread spread with natural yogurt with a sprinkling of dried yeast.

So I gave it a try, with a kit from eBay, having followed the instructions for microwave the compost the day before. The only thing this grew in 3 days, was mold!! A round of bread is much too much. I managed to save some of the worms and tried again, but no way was much happening.... give up!
Well no don't lets do that, another culture from eBay it was even cheaper, more worms, less compost! Suggested food, fish food-Flakes. So I sprinkled a few flakes on the compost and left it until the next day, when I found the flakes had vanished!!

Now a few days later I am adding food in the morning, to find it gone at tea time, when I replace it again. I have also tried pellet food and dry yeast which are also eaten readly, but the small piece of bread has been there for 3 days and it looks un-touched.

Some people suggest feeding them Veggies this I've yet to try. Well they say you are what you eat, so perhaps my worms will get all those vitamins and minerals in the flakes and pass them on to my fish... Here's a couple of pics.

Advice and comments welcome, in-fact you must!!

Mel.

Last edited by CactusMel on Wed Mar 04, 2020 16:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CactusMel

Hi Again, hope we're all well! (no don't lets talk about it!)

My young fish are now growing well and showing some colour. They are as far as I know now 4 months old, still mainly taking frozen food based on Beefheart and turkey heart, but also freezed dried blood worm, pre-soaked to sofen it, and the big bully takes Heron's red discus pellets...

I did have to take the plants out has they were getting very "Fluffy" with uneaten food and the like, there's an Otto in there with 2 Emerald cats (birthday pressy) some Yellow Rabbit snails and Amaro shrimps to tidy up.
25% water change twice a week.

Here's some pictures...
I'd love to hear about others young discus, comments, etc

Regards

Mel.

Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Looking good. :)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Yes they are looking lovely @CactusMel :)

Sounds like you are doing well with their food. Glad to see your efforts are paying off :D There isn't a great deal about Discus on the forum atm so this thread of yours is a welcome addition. I have always been drawn to them, they are such beautiful fish.

The care of them has always been quite daunting to me though, and I previously didn't have suitable soft water. I hope you keep us updated as you go along, it might just inspire me to take on the challenge :)

ETA (edited to add) @Martinspuddle 'atm' at the moment ;]
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

I have 6 young discus at the moment (First time keeping discus) and mostly feed them Beefheart alongside some normal pellet food. They share the tank with some corys so whatever they dont eat the Cory's clean up pretty quickly. I think I will keep them on beefheart for the time being as they do seem to react well to it and at least appear happy and healthy. They do get the odd treat of brine or blood worms along with the other tanks.