How long do you blanch your vegetables for?

Food, feeding and diet.
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

I've only really blanched vegetables for my fish a couple of time and with mixed results.

I'm sure its already been covered before but how long do you blanch the various vegetables? Can you microwave them? Also, what such of stuff goes down well?

I've only tried courgette and cucumber... the courgette was largely ignored by my ottos and the cucumber just make a mess!
SxAqua
Has liked: 486 times
Been liked: 353 times

I've only tried broccoli and cucumber. Just a minute for the broccoli.

The corrys didnt touch is first night. 2nd day they went mad for it. I put it near the front of the tank and they didnt even leave it when I came in the room(which they usually do).

Would be nice to hear what's going down well in other tanks too!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Wikipedia... a vegetable or fruit, is scalded in boiling water, removed after a brief, timed interval or until the vegetable stops screaming! :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Tycho

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 22:14 pm Wikipedia... a vegetable or fruit, is scalded in boiling water, removed after a brief, timed interval or until the vegetable stops screaming! :grin:
Assume its different for different vegetables depending on how hard they are... goggle says anything from about 30 seconds to 5 min.

Also, would be good to know what people have tried and what has worked and what hasn't.
Martinspuddle

Tycho wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 22:32 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 22:14 pm Wikipedia... a vegetable or fruit, is scalded in boiling water, removed after a brief, timed interval or until the vegetable stops screaming! :grin:
Assume its different for different vegetables depending on how hard they are... goggle says anything from about 30 seconds to 5 min.

Also, would be good to know what people have tried and what has worked and what hasn't.
Sorry mate, cabin fever cutting in! :grin: I blanch lettuce with poured straight from the kettle boiling, so I suppose that's about 30 sec's. Anything else, say Cabbage or Kale a couple of minutes in boiling water, letting it cool before using it to feed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tycho

What do you do to weight it down?

I just wedged it but would be good to have it weighted down a little.
Martinspuddle

Tycho wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 23:01 pm What do you do to weight it down?

I just wedged it but would be good to have it weighted down a little.
I just leave it floating, soon sinks to a degree and go's soft. The idea is to only soften the fruit or vegetable. In the wild the fruit or veg that has dropped into the water might take some days to soften enough for fish to be able eat it, we are just speeding the process up for them.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5090 times
Been liked: 3436 times

I don't blanch, just pop raw courgette, pepper (red or yellow, not green), cucumber or whatever in.
The only thing I blanch are peas.......
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 2684 times

plankton wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:01 am I don't blanch, just pop raw courgette, pepper (red or yellow, not green), cucumber or whatever in.
Same here :) and i use a pair of my plating tweezers to hold it down :D
Martinspuddle

plankton wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:01 am I don't blanch, just pop raw courgette, pepper (red or yellow, not green), cucumber or whatever in.
Gingerlove05 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:07 am Same here :) and i use a pair of my plating tweezers to hold it down :D
I only blanch leaves, peas I soak overnight, sunk by morning and cucumber or courgette go's straight in raw.