My plec refuses veggies

Food, feeding and diet.
Loser
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

I added a common plec and a few other bottom feeding fish to my aquarium in October last year. All is well but the plec refuses veggies. He totally ignores them, I have looked up everything. I've tried blanching his food with garlic and all sorts of veg such as leafy greens, broccoli and cucumber, "he" just ignores it. I have ordered frozen veg for him now. He eats bloodworms and shrimps, algae wafers (with courgette and shrimp) and some sinking pellets but vegetables do not interest him. What will this do to his health? Do you know what I can do to encourage him? I leave all of his veg near his cave but he swims past it and goes for his algae wafers instead ::crazy::
I usually keep the veg in for 3/4 hours, once I even left it in over night and still had no results! Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Maybe it’s getting enough of the other foods? They’ll always prefer the tastier higher protein stuff. Having said that, they’ll usually eat both...
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5061 times
Been liked: 3426 times

It may be worth leaving the veg in for two days, I do for my bristlenoses. He/she may then realise it's food...... ;)
It won't be a problem if he's ok, but it would be nice to know he's getting extra vitamins and minerals from the veg.
With the BNs, courgette seems to be favourite and will last two days in the water, cucumber tends to go soggy after a day, so I understand you taking that out.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Perhaps he prefers soft food, i.e. blanched leaves of spinach or even salad, which makes them almost mushy. When I had a common pleco (in my youth) he loved salad leaves.
Loser
Been liked: 5 times

Thank you all, I have thought about leaving food in for longer but after an ammonia spike I always get paranoid. Will try with the leaves and update you all though. Hopefully the frozen veg I ordered will work too!
MattHunt
Been liked: 15 times

Some years I rescued a common pleco, whom I named Fenton.

He spent several weeks refusing veggies and then one day the penny dropped and he was happily set about cucumber, courgette and sweet potato (blanched only - fussy creature). For some time I thought he just had shares in Sainsburys.