Do you breed your own livefood?

Food, feeding and diet.
Triumph-Rat
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 174 times

From water fleas and worms to crustaceans to fish.

Do you breed your own and if so what set-ups do you have for them?
Everything I say and do are the result of multiple personalities. If it is offensive then it wasn't me!!
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I used to do microworms for Cory fry but that was a very simple Tupperware pot with a watery oat base. I initially bought a colony from eBay and then just keep a few lots going. Had to stop as it stunk (yeasty) and the wife noticed. I'll try and find some pictures later.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I'm sure @Vale! is the man to ask.

I cant remember the thread about his bath is called but it was very interesting.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Walter worms. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

Apparently worm cultures are not too difficult to maintain but I haven't tried it. Don't really have the time or an appropriate location for something that disgusting! I did try recently to start a little daphnia colony in a plastic pet container but they all died after a few days. The water was from the fish tank so that should've been ok, but I had no filtration/aeration. I'd be interested to know if anyone has managed this without setting up an actual tank.
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

mattindevon wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:45 am Apparently worm cultures are not too difficult to maintain but I haven't tried it. Don't really have the time or an appropriate location for something that disgusting! I did try recently to start a little daphnia colony in a plastic pet container but they all died after a few days. The water was from the fish tank so that should've been ok, but I had no filtration/aeration. I'd be interested to know if anyone has managed this without setting up an actual tank.
Walter worms are easy and if you use like I do 'Smash' instant potato mix they don't smell unless you stick your nose into the pot.

The culture I currently have has been running for a year now and is fed brewers yeast powder once a week. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

I usually have a tub or two of microworms. Super easy to keep and you can dump them in any tank. All fish of a smaller size will smash them. Also left a tub out in the garden this summer and left some leaves in the bottom to rot. Had loads of daphnia and some mosquito larvae too. Pretty much run out now the weather has turn colder. Sure they'll be back next year.