All Pond 2000EF :: Anyone any experience?

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

spotted this on the bay of fleas whilst looking around for stuff for tank #2 (now planning permission has been approved by the GF) and was thinking that for pretty much the same cost as the Fluval 407 I can get the 2000ef (+external) plus several kilos of BioHome Ultimate to replace whatever it comes with.

Anybody any experience with the AllPonds kit?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

They aren't as powerful as other filters after they have decent media put in them, so the 2000 is closer to 1000, rather than 1500 which is what other 2000 filters would get with media in.
You do tend to get what you pay for, but they are adequate for the money.
bhafc1
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Agree with the poster above about getting what you pay for. All Ponds offers 1 year warranty. Fluval 3 years for there canister filters. One thing i've learned is never buy a cheap heater that you see on ebay.

I have Biohome media. Is it worth it ? Personally no. That's just my opinion. Next time it will be lava rock or something like that.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

I get the quoted figures thing which is why even though I'm only getting a 300 Litre tank I would opt for the 2000EF which is "up to 600 litres"
Fishlock

I had a 2000lph EFX+ from APS and it was rubbish. After spending ages priming the damn thing, I then spent ages trying to get every last bit of trapped air out in order to keep the noise down. It was still too loud. And after a couple of days desperately trying to get used to the noise, I then discovered that it was leaking.

I took it back and got a Fluval FX4 instead, and it's bloody brilliant. No need to prime at all, much quieter, build quality is infinitely better. You do get what you pay for. It's filled with Biohome ultimate and attached to a 240l tank overstocked with Malawi's.

What size tank is this filter going on to?
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

300 Litre.

The other thing I like (and this could be used with any canister) is the idea of a "pre filter" so you can keep the mechanical elements separate from the bio material of your choice. To my mind that makes maintenance easier.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I’ve used nothing but API externals for about 10-15 years. They’re great. They’re only cheap because they’re made in China, but they’re a decent quality. The easiest externals to open and clean, and you’ll get a flow rate to match the others (ime) as long as you don’t try to pack too much media in. Never had a problem with one. I wouldn’t bother with the UV though, unless it’s cheap...
mikeyw64
Posting Legend

I was looking at the All Ponds spares prices, a complete new lid with motor unit (which IMHO is the only bit likely to fail that cant be sorted by cleaning/unblocking) Is <£40
lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

APS have been around a few years and I've had a few bits off them in that time, although not a filter.

What I found during my research was that people would either sing their praises or be very critical. I suspect that as they're quite cheap and cheerful, you find that quality control isn't as good as some of the more expensive brands, so that more faulty ones or ones with issues slip through.

So basically, if you get a good one, you'll be happy but you might end up having to send it back/get it replaced.

Their customer service is pretty good though and they're all quite friendly.
311l 48x18x22

jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

I've got the APS EF2+ 30W with UV in my 160l tank, got it second hand, with the rest of the set up. Its been great, no problems other people report such as priming or water leaks, and its just as quiet as the Fluval 406 next door in my 260l tank. I've never bothered with the UV lamp as the bulb was blown when I got it, and the majority of comments said its not worth having.
I've replaced the filter media with Biohome Ultimate, but beforehand, the standard stuff seemed to work perfectly, the water was crystal clear and the quality/tests again perfect from day one.
I agree with the comments here and elsewhere regarding quality control, some people love them and some hate! I'd buy one should the need arise, mine sells for £85 new, which I think is a good price for a decent filter :)
They are also sold under the "SunSun" brand in the USA where they are a big seller.