Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 19:04 pm
Andys temperate tank wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 18:35 pm
PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 18:15 pm Cheers Stephen, I'm going to leave the working filter as is but after watching the guru guy on YouTube, I'm going to add ehiem mech just into the bottom of the cannister, not in the trays of only the out of action one
Is that the pimp my filter guy on YouTube paul?
Yeah that's the one, he basically pulls the Fx4 apart, bins all the media and sets it up with loads of different media, I think I will go half and half
He basically puts his media in, he sells his media.
Take what he says with a pinch of salt but his principles are fine.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

I didn't like what he did with the filter foams around the outside. To me the water flows up the outside first so putting uneven grades of foams will affect the flow. Plus it had to squash tight together in places. My brother in law tried his setup and regrets it now. He says biofoam dust spits out everytime the filter re starts.

I went for generic foams from finest filter and sera siporax media in the fx6. Cant fault it so far and 2 or the Angel's have spawned so it must be keeping the water good.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Ok cool that's good to know. I was going to leave the foam in there, I like the idea of the extra media in the bottom of the cannister and topping up the balls in the trays. I'm going to add carbon and polishing pad to try and get some tannins out as my fish look like the cast of Towie at the moment 😂
Andys temperate tank

I've got bio media in all of my trays with a foam pad right at the bottom and one at the very top.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

What do you think about doing that? It's just extra along with what goes in the trays. I'd just be worried it would block the water change tap or make the filter noiser
Andys temperate tank

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 20:27 pm Image

What do you think about doing that? It's just extra along with what goes in the trays. I'd just be worried it would block the water change tap or make the filter noiser
My brother in law put bio home in that bottom channel. I wonder if that's what he gets dust blowing out of his fx4. I haven't got anything in there.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

PaulVerrall wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 20:27 pm Image

Myself, I'd top up the biological media but leave a 1cm gap at the top.
I wouldn't use any else but Eheim Mech in the base of the filter, they are basically ceramic ring type media.
As the FX filters are great at what they do, I'd leave the base empty especially if your using the bottom tap for water changes.

Just my view
All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)