Question on powerheads

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Hi all, recently watched the video of the superb shop in Denmark (don't ask me to spell it) where the owner has pristine sand and yet has never cleaned it or his filters.

My sand is anything but pristine.

I have to stand on a stepladder to use the gravel hose and there are some areas I can't reach or get to due to the wood in there, the glass cross braces, and the (dire) plants. It also means trying to balance a bucket half way up on a step without dropping it or the hose... The plants always seem to be covered with a brownish dusting of algae or something.

Would a powerhead help get rid of any debris on the bottom by moving it along to the filter intake? If so where would it need to be positioned?

I'm generally really quite unhappy with the whole look of the tank at the moment. It looks really dismal and dark and grubby and just bleurgh. ☹️☹️ I want it to be bright and fresh and clean and lovely.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

I have a thread in the equipment thread about my plan to do this on my new tank. I have no experience, but I read a long time ago about somebody putting a powerhead (wave maker) the opposite side of the tank to a filter intake and blew the debris into it. So in theory, it should at least help.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Perhaps post an updated pic of your *bleurgh* tank and maybe we can help you getting it "bright and fresh and clean and lovely" ;)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Increased flow will always help.... covered in algae?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

If you have enough flow, whether from filters or power heads, the debris will automatically move towards the end where the flow is coming from (water flows across the top and back along the bottom). I get enough flow from the filters, and only use powerheads for additional flow for fish that want it.
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

WinterRose73 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 18:35 pm Hi all, recently watched the video of the superb shop in Denmark (don't ask me to spell it) where the owner has pristine sand and yet has never cleaned it or his filters.

My sand is anything but pristine.

I have to stand on a stepladder to use the gravel hose and there are some areas I can't reach or get to due to the wood in there, the glass cross braces, and the (dire) plants. It also means trying to balance a bucket half way up on a step without dropping it or the hose... The plants always seem to be covered with a brownish dusting of algae or something.

Would a powerhead help get rid of any debris on the bottom by moving it along to the filter intake? If so where would it need to be positioned?

I'm generally really quite unhappy with the whole look of the tank at the moment. It looks really dismal and dark and grubby and just bleurgh. ☹️☹️ I want it to be bright and fresh and clean and lovely.
Do you have a link to the video? I'm intrigued.
Mito
Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 190 times

I have a 100l tank with 18 barbs. The substrate is gravel and I had a 300l/hr pump. The gravel was disgusting and hoovering it didn't seem to make much difference. I put a 600l/hr pump in and within a couple of weeks it was a different tank. The gravel is not pristine but it's back to its original colour. I don't hoover it, change the water weekly (25% approx) and very little else. I have filter floss as the first filter and change that each time as it's full of crud, so the flow must be keeping the tank clean.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

@Ricrhys here it is - fantastic shop with some stunning tanks and fish:

https://youtu.be/CnnJksrQPV4

Here is my much less fabulous tank lol. Took a video rather than lots of pics. Looks ok from a distance but not the case when zoomed in a bit as you can see.

https://youtu.be/XqDUOI2HV-E

Oh - I know the heater says 28 but the tank is sitting at about 26 according to the two thermometers.

It all just looks a bit dark. The light is an Aquasky. Sand substrate, black background to hide pipes. The wood has darkened significantly since purchase. The plants just look very meh. I've started adding a little liquid Co2 to see if that helps any bit not sure if that's a good idea.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

@Mito the tank is about 190ltrs I believe. I'm running an Eheim Ecco Pro 300. Perhaps I need to upgrade the filter? Although the thought of having to squeeze hoses onto taps and pipes fills me with vague horror....
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

WinterRose73 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 22:06 pm ... the thought of having to squeeze hoses onto taps and pipes fills me with vague horror....
Dip the end of a hose into a cup of very hot water for a few seconds. It softens, and squeezing it onto a tap or pipe is then easy. And, indeed, peasy.