Fish Nanna!

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
CattyV
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 60 times

So, I’m a proud fish nanna to baby honey gourami! Never thought this would happen 😁 any helpful tips on successfully looking after the fry would be welcome as I have never done this before.

I have a hatchery with suction cups ready, so will be moving them into that today. Before dad can eat them!

How long do they take to grow? The LFS would take babies from me and a couple of fish keeping friends also but obviously don’t want my tank to be overcrowded.

Fluval Roma 125L - internal U3 filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4200 times

oo Congrats!
No idea on how long they take to grow. Usually you would breed them in a seperate tank and move the adults once they are free swimming.
RandomTeaPig
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 87 times

Congrats 🎉🎉
dh 18
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Congrats :)
I thought male gourami looked after the eggs and young fry for a short while before they were left to their own devices.
Not sure how long they take to grow, but plenty of very small foods and plenty of feeding and they’ll soon get there :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

Well done Val ::clap::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
CattyV

Awwww thanks everyone! 🥰 I’m super chuffed they hatched!

The male (Herman) has been guarding the nest like a torpedo all week. I just know once they starts to drop from the bubble nest they will get eaten, even by dad. So I am trying to work out when’s best to get the hatchery under them!

@fr499y yes, my gourami clearly didn’t care who was watching them 🤭
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 844 times

Ooh well done! I had mine breed a few years ago, but suffered massive losses with the fry. Started off with loads and only a couple ended up making it to the 'big tank'. Didn't try keeping them with the parents though as they were just in the community tank. Hope you have excellent success, but don't be downhearted if it doesn't work out first go. I've found with most fish I've bred and raised over the years, the first batches don't do great, then all of a sudden, they just flourish. Fingers crossed for you :)
CattyV

@Si4geckos thank you! I’m just not sure when to put them in the breeder box. Dad is still defending the nest at the moment and picking up any falling fry and putting them back there. Don’t want to stress him out. So, I’m not expecting much this time around as no clue when to aim for. I thought about setting another tank up but again not sure best way…. Or how they develop so I’ll have to research.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 2.5-5 ppm
Ph 7.5
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Its always great fun to see the little fry grow up. I feed mine on Protogen, and Daphnia.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Well done young lady - they are notoriously difficult to get to hatch and raise, so fingers crossed! :D
Microworms will probably be the best live food you can give them - look up some of @Vale!'s threads that give details of what to do to produce and feed.