Sand Depth & Egg Crate

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 1839 times

No screw on attachments here mate! Other than quickly push/screw the inlet hook on one end of the hose to hook around the tap to empty down the kitchen sink (no accessible drain outside to empty into), and pushing the other end of the hose onto the pump.
I’m not overly fussed on temperature matching given the water volume involved. Close enough has done me all my time as a fishkeeper. I keep an eye on it to make sure it’s not gone freezing cold or boiling hot but that’s the extent of it for me. Once I found a pump that could do the job at a price I was happy with, it was about 10 minutes to locate the right diameter tubing on eBay and an inlet hook on Amazon.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 536 times
Been liked: 323 times

Can anyone recommend a pump actually? Probably a good place to start like VM says then I can look at reliable hoses/hooks etc.

I’ve seen products like this where you can switch the water off quickly without having to perfectly time the dash back to the kitchen once the water reaches the recommended waterline (seems to be a very specific margin on Juwel tanks for some reason).

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5090 times
Been liked: 3436 times

The waterline in the Juwels is because of the filter box and where the pump sits. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Chris_jennings
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 110 times

The one I use, Can run dry so no worries about sucking in air.
Also comes with 13mm and 16mm hose fittings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VB63D7R? ... ct_details
Sixo
Posting Legend

Chris_jennings wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:51 am The one I use, Can run dry so no worries about sucking in air.
Also comes with 13mm and 16mm hose fittings.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VB63D7R? ... ct_details
Like the run dry safety, quite impressive power for such a small pump judging by reviews thanks Chris 👍
Sixo
Posting Legend

Can anyone recommend a corydoras-friendly river-type substrate I can top-up with?

I’ve currently got the Barlows River sand which I like but can only see it in 25Kg bags now and I’m only needing a few kilos at the most.

Going to add a little more depth for my Amazon swords.

Anybody used the Amtra stuff? Quite like how it’s labelled as Amber, don’t like it too light.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5090 times
Been liked: 3436 times

I use the Unipac stuff nowadays.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Sixo
Posting Legend

plankton wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:02 am I use the Unipac stuff nowadays.
Yeah can’t go too wrong with the Unipac stuff. Not too fussed on grain size as it’s just a bit of a top-up. Something a little bigger might make it a nice mixture as long as it’s not sharp.
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 26 times

Don't know if this is available anywhere else, it looks like an "own brand" so possibly not, but it's nice and certainly not what I'd call 'fine' but still in the realms of sand rather than gravel. Super natural looking and a few colourways to choose from.

https://www.swelluk.com/swell-samoa-sand#samoa-sand-2kg

I used this with a bag of the Limpopo black as top dressing, some play sand as a sandwich between the topdress and some akadama as a nutrient base...

Problem being it's only free delivery over £50, so possibly not an economical choice unless they're stocking other stuff you need. But I bought my aquarium from here and my substrate stuffs and other bits and bobs all in one swoop, so was worthwhile for me.
Last edited by DuzMano on Sun May 05, 2024 13:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 21:50 pm When I bought my tank the kitchen tap we had was a few decades old and useless for connecting to, when choosing a replacement it was difficult finding out if it would be suitable for water changes. We bought one like this with a removable diffuser and I think they are all a standard size, it fits the cheap hose adaptor I bought on eBay but I don't think it works with Python.

I can't tell you what thread it is as neither the tap nor the adaptor included details.

For temperature I use an IR thermometer as it's quick, for flow I tried being gentle but the combi boiler would cut out so now I just whack it right open.
Python does fit that type of tap thread, although it's only a nylon adapter. :]

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: