Tank leak - cycling question

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

My discus tank has sprung a leak, from the sealant near the top so I've half emptied the tank. I ordered a Roma 240 yesterday so the discus will have to go in there for a bit. It comes with a fluval 306 but I will also run my tetratec ex800. The question is will a fully cycled filter rated up to 300l handle the load instantly, until the 306 is up and running? It's less volume slightly and I'm on daily water changes anyway for the discus.

Stroke of luck really that I'd already ordered the Roma. Rang MA and they're going to try and get hold of one a bit sooner for me given the situation.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Sorry to hear about the leak @BigBen . Last year I had the same problem but the leak was at the bottom. Fortunately it was a new tank and I got a replacement. Also I was doing a fishless cycle and had a spare tank nearby. It happened during the day and I manged to catch it sooner rather than later . As I live in a first floor apartment I dread to think what would have happened if it had occurred during the night. :shy: With my 3 new tanks, I half fill them first in the morning and watch carefully. Good luck with your new one, and hope the fish aren't too stressed.
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

I believe that you should be fine with your old filter as your bio load won't have changed.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

Sorry, I forgot to mention the filter! I agee with @Tycho also I would add any plants you have from the old tank.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

It's not planted, pretty much a bare tank with a few upturned plant pots and a huge anubias as it has young discus in. I'm more worried about the anubias than I am the discus!

I think I will be in ok, fish should be fine I think. Hopefully the new tank will arrive in the next couple of days.
Jon_D
Posting Legend

@BigBen Is that the tank with Corys in it? If so and if you are moving them, I'd be interested if they get stressed as I now have 14, up from the original 5, and some will need moving.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

No, the Cory's are in my Betta tank (Betta is at my mother in law's in her tank, soon returning), I have a 125 Roma cycling which will be the Cory's tank and I have a 270l that the discus are in. The latter is what is leaking.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

I agree about the filter, it will cope with the current bioload.
I hope you get it sorted soon.