How long do people quarantine new fish for?

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

Hi fishkeepers :swim:

The Internet basically says from 14 - 60 days. I've had my 1st batch of quarantining fish in the quarantine tank for a week, they're looking healthy and have good appetites. How does timing the release into the display tank work?

Thanks
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 1387 times

I usually quarantine for a couple of weeks. If they’re ok after that, they’re ok.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Most pathogens will rear their ugly heads within 6 weeks (except for some internal ones that can take months).
I do 6 weeks therefore, and feed crushed garlic twice a week during quarantine to boost the immune systems.
Since I started doing that I've had far fewer problems outside of the q-tank.
If I get losses during quarantine I leave it another 6 weeks before moving the rest.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

I use to be 14 days to quarantine new fish back in the day when @black ghost and I among others (...dinosaurs still ruled the earth when he started keeping minnows in a pail of water! :grin: ) started keeping tropical fish which was generally accepted within the hobby that this was the given amount of time to quarantine new purchases back in the 1970-1980's.

As time gone on now it's seems the guides seem to give a conflicting advice and I read online there is little scientific evidence on what is the ‘ideal’ period. In general, a three to four week quarantine period is considered good and is recommended by OATA, (Ornamental aquatic trade association) but on the other hand along with @plankton, myself to new a few on this forum who quarantine new stock for up to six weeks these days.

The choice is yours, with any amount of factors you must take into consideration like knowing where the stock has come from, understanding the stock has been quarantined before hand and or has come from another fishkeeper where the stock has been kept in a separate aquarium away from other fish or shrimp for some period of time before coming into your possession.

It does seem to me to be a forgotten element of fishkeeping sometimes, I had no fish diseases since 2006 or any deaths have been only attributed to old age or more recently down to dry foods causing digestion issues with some Barbs. So often I here that fishkeepers fall foul of not quarantining new stock and having to treat a whole home aquarium plus the subsequent resulting deaths. Best course action is to quarantine new stock for the period that suits you and your new acquisitions, treat for possible parasites and not to be tempted to rush the new stock into your established aquarium.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

The important thing to me is observation, I observe all the fish at the LFS, any sign of ich or other disease in any tank then I simply walk away.
If I spot several dead fish in tanks at the LFS then again I simply walk away as I feel they are not maintaining their tanks correctly or as I would like it.
This is why I normally buy from my favourite suppliers. I do travel around 70 miles to my favourite supplier, the manager & myself are on first name terms.

Always observe the fish during and after quarantine.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)