JBL - KH Test

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Nettes
Has liked: 9 times

A very specific question for JBL test kit users. When I test the kh, should I wait until the water turns a strong yellow to stop adding the drops or is it just until there is a slight tinge? I've never needed to ask this before. In my last area, the kh sat at a very confident 12 in my tank. In my new area the colours are pale and the reading is coming up at 3 if I measure at the moment the water turns a slight yellow. I am so confused as the water quality report from the provider states it is hard. The tap water is measuring as 7. I'm getting rather worried about my mollies as they are noticeably less active than in my old house and I know they like hardness. Am I reading the test too soon? Should I add crushed coral to the filter or put in the Aquador JBL recommends? I have scaleless fish to be mindful of.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

dKH test, Pure colour is the final result, a 'tinge' is around half a stop.

Baking soda or one of the Buffer products on the market will do the trick. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Nettes
Has liked: 9 times

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been stopping at a similar colour to the one you get when the nitrite test comes back 0. I will wait for it to go a pure yellow then. In that case the kh is likely harder which makes me happier. I have never questioned the test before as it was always clear as day before I moved. I wouldn't mind but I'm only half an hour down the road from my old place!
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

Nettes wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:34 am I wouldn't mind but I'm only half an hour down the road from my old place!
Worrying. :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I'd use potassium bicarbonate, rather than "baking soda" which is sodium bicarb, long-term. The sodium doesn't get used by anything, potassium will get used by plants. ;)