New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1824 times

@Peter mine are pretty young I think, and colouration is still very bland at first glance. But I see more shimmers of blue and orange coming through, and their fins are a lovely violet. I think they'll do much better once I can get them into the 240L with the plants.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Peter
Posting Legend
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

@VikingMummy2015 Here are a couple pix of the Congo's I had.

They really enjoyed the space in the 4ft. Had 6, 3m, 3f....😎 They will deffo appreciate the 240 tank of yours.
Been scouring ebay, gumtree etc for a tank. Still deciding on how big I want to go. The advantage of large is less maintenance to a degree plus the obvious, lots of swim space so far bigger scope of fish choice.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

@Peter nice. They have such a lovely shimmer to them, don't they?
I'm glad I went for my 240 again (had to get rid of a bookcase and move some other bits and pieces around). I was lucky to get one second hand on Facebook Marketplace; it all happened at just the right time so was clearly meant to be. I still love my Flex because it was my first proper aquascape, but it's definitely easier to look after a bigger tank.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Congo’s looking all moody with the fancy lighting. I just can’t catch on camera how much they shimmer. More colour every week and 🤞🏻no obvious issues.

It’s 3 weeks tomorrow since they arrived and i’m hoping to transfer them at the 5 week mark, just in time for Christmas.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Another video (missed out last week as the residents were being unusually quiet and hiding in the plants in the time I had to film!)
https://youtu.be/6I6r_pgQfd8

Today I opened up the filter for its first proper clean. Yuck. Made me more determined to go for the Oase so I can easily clean the prefilter weekly. Added Stability and will keep a close eye on parameters over the next few days to be sure the bacteria are still ok. Other two tanks still running fine. Ghost still has his lump but is swimming about, loves lying on the big Anubias hastifolia leaves and even care over to investigate my finger when I waggled it for him.
All 8 Congo’s still looking healthy, feeding well and almost certainly one male starting to colour up properly (his extra “tetra” fin is even purple now compared to the others being more grey). Still quite timid fish and easily spooked by the scary siphon hose, despite their size and teeth! Can’t wait to see them in the big tank at Christmas!

Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Thats looking fantastic! I'm jealous of your red plant at the back at the start, what is it? - I should give reds another try I think after all my previous failures!
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

@Lee_k it’s Ludwigia mini super red (to the best of my memory). I am amazed with it as there’s no CO2 and my ferts are basically forgotten other than twice a week! Substrate is mainly unipac Limpopo sand with some Tropica soil roughly mixed in back there. Standard Roma lighting too!

Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 20:14 pm @Lee_k it’s Ludwigia mini super red (to the best of my memory). I am amazed with it as there’s no CO2 and my ferts are basically forgotten other than twice a week! Substrate is mainly unipac Limpopo sand with some Tropica soil roughly mixed in back there. Standard Roma lighting too!
Thanks Viking! - I'll have to try some! - Im the same with my ferts! - A doser is definitely on my wishlist for next year :D
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
mantis
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 252 times

Your plant growth is phenomenal, you set this tank up well after mine and it has exploded. I've got some Tropica soil left over so I'm tempted to stick some in there even though I have the Tropica substrate. Looks like you've just scattered it over your sand?
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

@mantis it’s mixed in a wee bit more at the back where the big plant growth is. It was only about 6kg though, with 20kg of sand. It’s really surprised me with how much it’s grown (I think this is 11 weeks now).