Munchy's Tank Log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Munchy2007
Has liked: 158 times
Been liked: 253 times

Hi everyone!

I can't believe how long it's been since my last post, seems like a lifetime ago, so much has happened in the last 18 months or so. But in any event I think it's time for a tank log update :)

What with one thing and another going on last year, I found it increasingly difficult to continue to get CO2 refills, so about 12 months ago I decided that as my last CO2 bottle had run out, I would stop using CO2 injection and fertilizer dosing and instead revert once more to a 'low-tech' tank setup.

I wasn't sure what to expect, because in the past I had always struggled to keep plants alive, which was the reason for my switch to CO2 injection in the first place. However, alongside learning about CO2 and ferts during the time I was using it, I also learnt a lot about lighting balance, water circulation and the plants themselves.

So I can only assume that extra knowledge is the reason I now have a tank that looks like this, instead of the algae infested barren wasteland that I would invariably end up with before I started using CO2 injection and fertilizer dosing,

I've restricted myself to undemanding plants, namely Java Fern, Annubias, Dwarf Sag and Crypts. Growth rate these days is relatively sedate, but the upshot is that plant maintenance is pretty much just thinning out the Java Ferns once every couple of months.

There's no particular issue with alga, just a few hairy bits here and there, which I quite like the look of anyway, and it doesn't grow on the plants and make them look unsightly. Keeping the glass clean involves giving it a quick wipe once a month or so.

Based on this, I think I'm going to stick with no CO2 and ferts, I'm more than happy with how it looks, it's less maintenance and I think the fish certainly enjoy the lower CO2 concentration in the water!

So that's my long overdue tank log update, hopefully it won't be such a long time before my next one :)
Last edited by Munchy2007 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Hi Martin, good to see you again.

Your tank looks great mate. ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Munchy2007

Stephen wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 21:25 pm Hi Martin, good to see you again.

Your tank looks great mate. ::thumbu::
Thanks Stephen, good to see you too :)

It's nice to see the forum is still going strong.
Last edited by Munchy2007 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Nice to see you about Munch. :)
Munchy2007

plankton wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 am Nice to see you about Munch. :)
You too Ian :)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

I thought i was seeing things :D
Nice to see you Munchy :) the tank is looking good :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Munchy2007

Gingerlove05 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:13 am I thought i was seeing things :D
Nice to see you Munchy :) the tank is looking good :)
Thanks GL :) Good to see you too!

It's nice to see so many familiar names are still active after all this time :)
Munchy2007

I finally got fed up with the noise from my remaining All Pond Solutions 1400EF external filter and I replaced it with a Fluval 307.

The APS filters might be cheap, but quiet they definitely are not! The Fluval 307 on the other hand is pretty much completely silent, the predominant sound from the aquarium now is from the air stones, much nicer than the buzzy/grindy APS filter noise :)

I didn't bother transferring any media from the old filter to the new one, as the old one was only one of three filters in the tank, but just to be completely safe anyway, I poured a 250ml bottle of Tetra Safe Start over the media of the new filter to help seed it.

So the current filtration/water circulation setup now is 2 x Fluval 307 external filters, 1 x Fluval U4 internal filter, 1 x 6000LPH wave maker and 1 x 2500LPH wave maker. The wave makers might seem a bit overkill for the size of the tank, but the density of plants drastically slows the water circulation, so it needs the extra power to force some flow through them. And with the direction I have them pointing there are still some relatively calm areas of the tank for the fish to rest in when they want.

I've also just replaced my old air pump, which gave up the ghost after about 10 years, with a new APS 150 air pump feeding twin air stones at each end of the tank for extra oxygenation.

Time for a cuppa now and sit back and enjoy my much quieter aquarium :)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Love how tiny the clown loach is next to the beast thats “hiding” behind it :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Munchy2007

Thanks GL :) It's hard to believe the beast was also as small as that when I got him.

I doubt it'll be long before the new one starts to catch up, but despite the current difference in size, they are already best buddies and follow each other around almost constantly.
Last edited by Munchy2007 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.