The Shrimp Tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

Could be because she has just moulted,normally colour back up after 24hrs.
It could be a stress reaction to being hounded by males after moulting.Too high a temp causes them to lose colour as well I find.Again normally back to full colour in 24hrs.
Check your gh is ok too 3-5 I am happy with.
It could just be her genetics,losing colour as she gets older,it seems to get worse while berried with females.
Let the colony grow then if you want to go down the route of improving the grades you will have more choice of young to keep to breed good traits out.
I have got decent results from that line and I believe Si is getting nice grades now,just takes time.
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

NEW BABIES!
Switched on the light earlier and I saw something dart into the cover...then another [woo]
There's 3 clinging to the glass, must be 3mm long, and just about showing a tiny bit of colour, I cannot get my camera or phone to focus, so no pics yet.
Both mums are still full of eggs, but one maybe a little smaller/carrying less eggs, or am I seeing things? Do they deliver the babies over say 24 hours? I had a good look last night before turning off the light, about 10pm, no sign of babies, then back on at 7:45 this morning.
The first lot are growing by the day, do I need to give them any food? Already using shrimp pellets and Bacter AE, plus a JBL Pleco disc once a week or so.
Fluval 160, Boyu 300 'New Used Project 2' , Leddy 60l Shrimp tank
eBay stalker bargain hunter!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

jacksdad wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:33 am NEW BABIES!
Switched on the light earlier and I saw something dart into the cover...then another [woo]
There's 3 clinging to the glass, must be 3mm long, and just about showing a tiny bit of colour, I cannot get my camera or phone to focus, so no pics yet.
Both mums are still full of eggs, but one maybe a little smaller/carrying less eggs, or am I seeing things? Do they deliver the babies over say 24 hours? I had a good look last night before turning off the light, about 10pm, no sign of babies, then back on at 7:45 this morning.
The first lot are growing by the day, do I need to give them any food? Already using shrimp pellets and Bacter AE, plus a JBL Pleco disc once a week or so.
Congratulations, you'll be a grandparent soon! :grin:

If they are 3mm long I'd say the Shrimplets you've seen are at lease 10 days old. They are ultra tiny when they hatch, little or no colour but fully formed miniatures of the adults.

Personally it sounds to me your already feeding them enough if you are seeing young that size. I work on the basis if Shrimp are grazing, don't worry about feeding them. If they are swimming around, going up and down the glass I feed them. ;)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
piker

As Martin said just carry on as you are with feeding,I would say dont go mad doing water changes that could alter parameters to give the babies the best start.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Had a good look this afternoon, took me ages to spot the babies, I'd say they are nearer to 2mm long, they are only just visible, and almost clear with very faint red spots.
I tested the water yesterday as it happens, all good but the pH was 4.5, usually its 6-7. Could it be down to adding the capatta leaf? Only added one about a week ago, the only change.
I did an 8 litre water change, tank holds about 54 litre, I usually only change 5 litres once a week, but did more due to the pH.
piker

I wouldn't think a leaf would lower it that much,its a pretty big drop.
It could be a reason they are washed out colours,bring it back to normal gradually over a couple of days.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

jacksdad wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 17:44 pm I tested the water yesterday as it happens, all good but the pH was 4.5, usually its 6-7. Could it be down to adding the capatta leaf? Only added one about a week ago, the only change.
It would take a lot more than one Capatta leaf to move the pH more than one point. I'd be a little concerned why that's dropped like that, as you well know Crystal Shrimp are listed at low end pH of 6 are they looking stressed at all?
I'd be very careful about raising the pH, do it very slowly as pH shock could be disastrous.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
jacksdad
Posting Legend

I've just added 4l of clean water, filled the tank to the brim, I'll change 6l in an hour, then test again: its very odd to change like that, I did a test with the JBL 6-7.6 and it was off the lower end, so did a 3-10, which gave about 4.5. I'll try all my testers this time, will have 5 results :)
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Tested again, now getting an average of 6.5...bang on! :)
the 6-7.6 test was a shade below the 6, the API which I don't like was about 5, again the odd one out.
jacksdad
Posting Legend

Now I've got worms :O
Look like rhabdocoela, thought planaria at first, but I've had a good look with a magnifying loupe and the critters have got rounded heads, so sign of any angles or 'eyes' which I've read show planaria.
I'll stop feeding for a few days and also hoover the susbstrate a little: don't want to suck up the babies! :(