Daryl's tank log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
DazF90
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 75 times

Good afternoon ladies and gents!
Posted my welcome post on Tuesday, then got planting... as promised, here is a little log of my progress and plans :)

The Tank
So the tank was initially used for a reef tank closed down around a year ago. Its been cleaned out thoroughly and I was tempted to sell the full setup and buy a new cheaper unit, but I really love the look of it.
It is a Fluval M90, 90 x 42 x 40cm, comprising of 4 rear compartments which will house my filter (Eheim pickup 200), heater (150w Aqueal platinum) and circulation pump (600lph, but I mistakenly initiially put in my 2500lph pump... lets just say there would have been a shrimp tornado had I left it!)

I replaced my Razor reef lighting for a Fluval Aquasky led 2, which has a nice Bluetooth controller.
The only other adjustment I really needed to make was to cover the overflow as the gaps were pretty big and I don't want anyone sneaking in, for now I have just weaved some plastic mesh but I may change this, open to ideas!

Hardscape
20kg fine black gravel, Driftwood / Cholla wood, Dragon stone, Indian Almond leaves, Banana leaves (still floating in bucket), Alder cones (if they ever arrive...)

Plants
Wisteria (Hygrophilia difformis)
Ludwiga repens
Bacopa caroliniana
Water Trumpet (Cryptocoryne beckettii)
Narrow leaf eelgrass (Vallisneria nana)
Java moss
Brazilian micro sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)
Red root floater (Phyllanthus fluitans) had to made a ring for these so that they don't get pulled up to the overflow, thought I may eventually corner it off and let them take over

Water conditions

The water from my tap is very hard, after adding dechlorinator and leaving for 24hrs, here are the params:
PH: Using NH labs test kit, it looks a lot less than 8, but definitely over 7. Using my API test kit it is maxed at 7.6... so I'm guessing its around 7.7ish
Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitates: 0
KH: 11
GH: 16
TDS: 450

Tank Params today
Temperature: 23.5 celcius
PH: 7.5 (was 7.2 but I done a small waterchange to see how it would affect, so I'm expecting this to drop back down)
Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitates: 0
KH: 8
GH: 15
TDS: 380

Planned stock!
Nothing in there at the moment obviously, planning on something like this
Red Rili Shrimp
Tangerine Tiger Shrimp
Sparking Gouramis
Forktail Rainbows
Chilli Rasbora's (Always wanted to keep these but my tank mates have always been too big, they do prefer soft water though...)

Anyway, that's where I currently sit, plan on getting the Rili's first and letting them own the tank for a few months and then go from there.
I am going to be doing a silent cycle for the first time after seeing a friend successfully do so, my bioload is going to be minimal and I'm currently out of work so have plenty of time to spy on the tank! The plants have all already grown nicely since planting, I have not yet used any liquid carbon or ferts, just a couple of root tabs when they were planted. Going to give it another week or so to build up more biofilm and ensure the PH is stable.

Here's my FTS :)

Last edited by DazF90 on Fri Feb 07, 2020 20:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Nice looking set-up, even without any livestock. Will be interesting to see it develop.
DazF90

Thanks mate, hasn’t come out exactly as I hoped but everything seems to be growing and stabilising nicely which is much more important :)
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

Looks amazing, really like it! The hose ring thing has given me an idea: I want to corner a load of floating cuttings, for the honey gourami to build a bubble nest.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

I'd ditch the pickup and just fill the back with media :)
DazF90

jacksdad wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 16:13 pm Looks amazing, really like it! The hose ring thing has given me an idea: I want to corner a load of floating cuttings, for the honey gourami to build a bubble nest.
Thanks! Yeah not sure yet if I want them in or outside of it haha
DazF90

fr499y wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 17:01 pm I'd ditch the pickup and just fill the back with media :)
I might do both :)
Plan on getting a little light to grow some more moss back there too
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Have the moss inside the back compartment? That would be great!
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

DazF90 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 17:14 pm
fr499y wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 17:01 pm I'd ditch the pickup and just fill the back with media :)
I have plants growing in the back filtration of my tank. Bamboo and peace lillies
DazF90

fr499y wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 15:35 pm
DazF90 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 17:14 pm
I have plants growing in the back filtration of my tank.

Bamboo and peace lillies
Seen some very nice Bamboo tanks lately