Adventures in Tank Building... Tank Log Time

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 21:16 pm Penn-Plax is an American company which originally came from a small pet shop retailer in Brooklyn, New York.
Unfortunately while we can get a certain amount of their products over here, we don't seem to be able to get their full catalogue.
Ahh okay I see. Thanks @Martinspuddle that's a shame, they look like nice aquariums :(
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Penn-Plax the same as Lee's aquarium products to name a few are limited due to our European trade agreements. Now things have changed we may see more of their products in the future if we get new trade agreements with the United States and other countries.

Sorry @WinterRose73 didn't mean to hijack your thread. :$
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Feel free, no problem at all :)

I had messaged Penn Plax about replacing the lights (before sorting the Aquasky). The reply I got just now said 'we stopped manufacturing the Luxury Line of tanks many years ago'.

Considering I was told that it was approx 3 years old, I have emailed back enquiring when they stopped and whether there were any issues with the tanks. The people I bought it from said they had purchased from new at over £600.

Hey ho. Have to see I guess!

On the actual thread front, no progress tonight. Not even more water chucked in. But what I put in yesterday is holding steady and has not attempted to make a break for it. Hoorah. :P
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Martinspuddle

I wouldn't worry too much about it age, as long as it's water tight it doesn't really matter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

So topped up the water with a few more buckets and just under half full now. Spirit level bubble still stable between the lines so tank appears level and without the need for shimming. Or at least I assume that's what it means!

The water does smell slightly off but this will be down to the azalea root (now floating lol) and presumably the lack of movement or air through the water as no filters on.

So.....

I don't want to really fill the whole thing up as I will only have to syphon the lot out in order to add substrate and so on. Lot of water to waste.

I plan now to leave this for the next few days. If all is good, I will empty it on Saturday (using copious buckets and trips to the sink) and give it another quick clean.

Hopefully I can get to the proper set up process, which will mean emptying and breaking down current tank(s). I am so tempted to keep the 80ltr running but the barbs deserve more space. So my plan for angels will have to wait. I will be using my current filter whilst running the external one so there should be no issue with cycling...

:)
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Martinspuddle

WinterRose73 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 20:25 pm Spirit level bubble still stable between the lines so tank appears level and without the need for shimming. Or at least I assume that's what it means!
I sincerely hope so, Melchisedech Thevenot would be very up set if his invention didn't work. :grin:
WinterRose73 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 20:25 pm The water does smell slightly off but this will be down to the azalea root (now floating lol) and presumably the lack of movement or air through the water as no filters on.
I got four pieces of this wood in my 120 litre, it does give off a scent and some tannin's. Some say you need to soak it in a bucket and change the water everyday, think it will work either way. Mine sank within a couple of days, if you won't the colour in the water you'll have use a little carbon to clean things up. ;)
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

It's quite a big piece, so other than the bath I have nothing large enough to presoak it. And as my shower is over the bath that's not going to be a feasible solution. Actually maybe I could just grab a cheap plastic tub (with a lid as I don't want the cats in there with it :))

The water is looking pretty cloudy so it must be the branch I guess. Nothing else in there other than the water. Other option is to completely fill it and turn on the external filter? At least that would get some movement through.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

I'd just set it up and start the cycle off..... ;) :)
Martinspuddle

plankton wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 am I'd just set it up and start the cycle off..... ;) :)
Hey don't rush @WinterRose73, she's enjoy watching her new piece of wood bobbing around the aquarium. :grin:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

[woo]

Lol!!! My branch is having a lovely time in there bobbling about!! ROFL ROFL

So plan for the weekend is:

Get something for the back of the tank to hide things
Grab a bag of substrate to go with existing stuff
Syphon out the cloudy water and replace
Turn on heater and external filter for first time
Dither for some time about the piece of wood
Get going!!!