Adventures in Tank Building... Tank Log Time

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

So it's time to start a proper tank log for my randomly odd questions and rounds of anxiety. :D

I'm aware that my thread 'New tank in situ' has more moved towards the building / setup bit now as opposed to 'ta da, here's my first largish new-to-me tank'. This is supposed to be replacing current setups.

So currently I'm here:

190ltr tank and purpose built stand purchased on Gumtree (Penn Plax)
Eheim ecco Pro 300 canister filter bought yesterday and wrangled into submission this afternoon (bl**dy hoses)
New heater purchased
Fluval Aquasky put in to replace T5 lighting
Lovely piece of azalea root bought to go in

(NB no equipment other than the light has been turned on).

At the moment there is literally about two inches of water in the bottom of the tank. I haven't added very much as I've been cleaning it out but that's all done now; there are still some water stains around the rim under the hood/trim stuff, but they will not be visible when looking at it, so not going to worry about it.

I need to start filling it up to make sure it's level and much more importantly, to make sure it is watertight!!!

(Once I've done that I guess I will need to empty it again before I can set it up, as I would think it would be very difficult to add substrate etc to a more or less full tank?)

I'm planning on using my existing gravel/ceramic media from my 80 and 60ltr tanks along with some new. I will also be running my existing filter alongside the new Eheim - it's an internal Fluval 3.

Unless of course I decide to keep the 80ltr running. I would love some angels but fairly sure they are not compatible with some of my existing fish. In which case I may take some of the filter materials for seeding the new tank. Decisions decisions.... Lol!!

Current:
80ltr - Black Ruby and Rosy Barbs
60ltr - Harlequin Rasboros and three dwarf neon rainbows

:)
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Just to link your previous thread: https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =13&t=2590

With regards to your Eheim outlet: you'll find out once you fill your tank whether the outlet is level with the water. The shepherd's crook at least will stay in place and you could also attach a spray bar (using a tine bit of tubing as a connector) to it which you can adjust to suit you.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

Ric wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 15:04 pm With regards to your Eheim outlet: you'll find out once you fill your tank whether the outlet is level with the water. The shepherd's crook at least will stay in place and you could also attach a spray bar (using a tine bit of tubing as a connector) to it which you can adjust to suit you.
Quite surprising how many different opinions Eheim have for their outlets on the Ecco Pro filter series, even down to a directional lily pipe.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

do you have an option on the number available ?
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4219 times
Been liked: 3886 times

mikeyw64 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 15:21 pm do you have an option on the number available ?
Eheim Swivel Outlet Pipe 12/16mm (4004600) and the lily pipe, Pro 3 Filter Flowpipe Outlet (4005730)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Aw thanks guys, definitely something I will be looking into. Providing of course that the water knows its role in all this malarkey and stays confined by the glass. :P

Just got home from work so plan is to chuck a few more buckets in and see what happens :) and cable tie some slate pieces (previously in use in the 80) to my azalea wood to weigh it down. I don't have anything large enough to presoak it.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

So, have put in about 30 or 40 ltrs. And added in my branch, which is most fabulous. Haven't added any slate on it yet but will do if and when it starts bobbing about.

The water is behaving itself so far. Spirit still showing as level. Waterline looks level.

But, looking at the front, can you see a slight, almost upward curve where the tank and sheet of poly are sitting on the top of the cabinet? Or is it just an optical illusion?

Having measured, the gap at each corner edge of the tank andsstand is 4ml and the centre the gap between the stand and tank is 7ml. I have assumed the gap in the middle is caused by the sheet of padding.

? Problem or just leave it? If it's likely to cause a problem then I'll need to get my brother in law down to help me.

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Do you know how long it was running like that before you got it? If its not been an issue before hopefully it wont be an issue for you :)
The foam/mat should help, there are some tanks (like the juwels) where the base is a “floating base” and designed to fit the stand and using a mat/foam invalidates the warranty :)

PS ml is millilitres, mm is millimetres ;)
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Oh d'oh!! Having a funny five minutes. Lol! Long day at work :rolleyes:

My understanding is that it was used for fancy goldfish for about 3 years and in use till around mid January.

The tank does have a floating base but almost impossible to photograph. I can't say whether or not the people I bought it from added the padding or whether the tank came with it. But the stand and tank are a matched set.

I could text and ask them I guess.... I can't find any info at all really on the brand online apart from kiddy tanks and tank decor, certainly nothing about any larger tanks they might have made.
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

@WinterRose73 I found this Penn-Plax youtube video you might find interesting :)

Penn-Plax Luxury Line Aquariums

It mentions your tank includes a protective foam pad underneath the aquarium. I think yours is called Nautilus Silver Trim Series.