Suspiciously peaceful - calm before the storm?

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Last Triumph
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 77 times

stechappo wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 20:47 pm They are all great looking fish, your JD is amazing, not seen an Electric blue Acara that big, you are obviously taking good care for the fish to reach that size and condition.
Thank you.

I'm concerned about the Central vs South, hard vs soft points raised above as I want the fish to be happy.

I've just done some research and drawn up a table of the various parameters I can find online to see if I'm wildly off the mark with any of the fish and from a chemistry perspective, nothing looks too far adrift, i.e my parameters seems to pretty much fall within the window for the various types...

The only ones that fall outside my parameters are the Severums by 0.5 pH, yet they are the fastest growing and seemingly healthy fish I have.

Do I need to be worried if they are all growing and appear to be healthy?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Perhaps you can just remind us how long you have had the tank and fish? If you have had them for quite some time and they have all been doing well, then I agree, something is working. If it has all just been put together, then any of the concerns raised are re the long-term welfare of the fish. :)
Last Triumph

The tank has been set up for just over two years now. The longest inhabitants are the Golden Nugget Pleco and Electric Blue Acara who were there on day one.
The rest of the fish have been added slowly as the tank matured and filter capacity grew.
The most recent additions are the Uaru and Jack Dempsey who have been in there about 6 months.
The rest of the fish anywhere in between.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Hi Andrew

The 4 foot, 300L aquarium will still be over-stocked at some point in the future.
At the moment it appears calm and will hopefully remain calm for quite a while whilst the fish are still fairly young but they will grow.
You asked the question "Suspiciously peaceful - calm before the storm?" obviously based on your own concerns.

5 months ago you have almost twice as many fish but you have thinned out those numbers and kept to one fish of any species (except the severums) which was a sensible move. ::thumbu::
You have also considered upgrading the filter to a Fluval FX6 in the future, which is another sensible consideration. ::thumbu::
The next consideration (for the future) would be to get a bigger aquarium, maybe a 6x2x2 foot which would give twice the water volume (600L) or better still a 8x2x2 would give three times the water volume (900L). That bigger aquarium is still a little way off but something to consider.
The aquarium is calm & peaceful, the fish appear happy, so you're definitely doing something right ::thumbu::

Going back to a previous thread of yours; I hope you have stopped feeding beef heart to the fish (some LFS give bad advise).

All the best

Stay safe & healthy everyone
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

I'm amazed you've kept the nugget for two years, they are one of the fussiest plecs generally available on the market and don't often do well in any water above 6.6ph or 5 dGH.
I would have thought that the food would get taken by all the large cichlids before he had a chance as well.
So you have done well for two years. :)
The problems, if (or when ;) ) they arise, are likely to happen later on with the wrong water as lifespans are cut and the osmotic system problems break down the immune systems.
Last Triumph

Stephen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am Hi Andrew

The 4 foot, 300L aquarium will still be over-stocked at some point in the future.
At the moment it appears calm and will hopefully remain calm for quite a while whilst the fish are still fairly young but they will grow.
You asked the question "Suspiciously peaceful - calm before the storm?" obviously based on your own concerns.

5 months ago you have almost twice as many fish but you have thinned out those numbers and kept to one fish of any species (except the severums) which was a sensible move. ::thumbu::
You have also considered upgrading the filter to a Fluval FX6 in the future, which is another sensible consideration. ::thumbu::
The next consideration (for the future) would be to get a bigger aquarium, maybe a 6x2x2 foot which would give twice the water volume (600L) or better still a 8x2x2 would give three times the water volume (900L). That bigger aquarium is still a little way off but something to consider.
The aquarium is calm & peaceful, the fish appear happy, so you're definitely doing something right ::thumbu::

Going back to a previous thread of yours; I hope you have stopped feeding beef heart to the fish (some LFS give bad advise).

All the best

Thanks - a bigger aquarium is on the cards, but I'm limited to space so might need to be imaginative with depth, as 5 foot is about as long as I can cope with as our house is very small and it;s the only free wall.

Yes, I no longer feed beef heart thanks to your advice.

They get Omega One pellets, Betta Catfish pellets (just a few), Tetra mixed wafers, Gamma frozen blood worm, Gamma frozen brine shrimp with garlic and frozen 'Cichlid Mix'.
Last Triumph

plankton wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:13 am I'm amazed you've kept the nugget for two years, they are one of the fussiest plecs generally available on the market and don't often do well in any water above 6.6ph or 5 dGH.
I would have thought that the food would get taken by all the large cichlids before he had a chance as well.
So you have done well for two years. :)
The problems, if (or when ;) ) they arise, are likely to happen later on with the wrong water as lifespans are cut and the osmotic system problems break down the immune systems.
Yeah, the GN has had me concerned once or twice, hence I use a feeding tube now to drop pellets and wafers behind the rock work whilst the other fish are munching away on the stuff in the general environment. He's not the brightest fish in the tank, but gets the hint when needed.

As for the water chemistry, hopefully I'm not far away from ideal parameters for any of the fish - upper end of the spectrum for some, lower end for others?

I artificially harden the water with crushed coral in the filter to stabilise the pH as we have precious little, if any kH out of the tap - less than 2kH at best and sub 6.0 pH crashes were a common thing, hence I now keep it circa 4-6kH and a neutral pH.

It's not like I'm trying to keep discuss in a Malawi tank or Pseudotropheus in an Amazon pool.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Last Triumph wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm
Stephen wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am Hi Andrew

All the best

Thanks - a bigger aquarium is on the cards, but I'm limited to space so might need to be imaginative with depth, as 5 foot is about as long as I can cope with as our house is very small and it;s the only free wall.

Yes, I no longer feed beef heart thanks to your advice.

They get Omega One pellets, Betta Catfish pellets (just a few), Tetra mixed wafers, Gamma frozen blood worm, Gamma frozen brine shrimp with garlic and frozen 'Cichlid Mix'.
Good to know.
Sounds like a good feeding routine. ::thumbu::
A 5x2x2 foot aquarium would be about 500L, height is less important as length for swimming space.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)