Shrimp Tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Sorry for your loss. :(
I would doubt the snails hatching would have any effect on the water parameters.
If there's been an ammonia spike - that will account for the nitrite reading (I doubt anything else would just raise the nitrite).
It may just be because of the two dead shrimp.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

Maybe do larger water changes or more per day to get the nitrite down.

If I ever have issues or see spikes I do 50% change at first, then change another 30% if still some nasties present/ reading.

Get the water right first as any harmful stuff in the water will be causing damage, visual or not.
itsashrimpthing
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 48 times

Si4geckos wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 15:11 pm Maybe do larger water changes or more per day to get the nitrite down.

If I ever have issues or see spikes I do 50% change at first, then change another 30% if still some nasties present/ reading.

Get the water right first as any harmful stuff in the water will be causing damage, visual or not.
Thank you, done a larger one and tested the water. I am using API Master test kit, which I believe should be pretty accurate. The nitrite colour is now between 0ppm and 0.25ppm, so coming down I hope. The rest of my shrimp all seem fine and no more deaths so far.
Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 15 Red Rili shrimp, 7 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra, 2 adult Albino BNs (1m, 1f) & 30+ fry

Small tank (planted): 30L Superfish Qubiq -- 20+ Ramshorn snails, 3 Endler's guppy adults (female) and 15 fry
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

Yea that's what I use to test too. Just make sure you give the test bottles a good bashing around before using them as they need properly mixing before use, especially if they've been sat for a while. Just keeps the test a bit more accurate. Might be worth keeping an eye on PH too. I had issues in the shrimp tank last year and I lost hundreds of them because the cycle crashed and it was just down to the PH crashing. No matter how many water changes I did I still had issues. I sorted the PH out with some coral sand to buffer it and things recovered in 48 hrs.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

itsashrimpthing wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:59 am GH is 12 and KH is 8. Fine for my shrimp and snails currently in the tank.
Which part of Blackpool do you live?
I always thought that Blackpool water was moderately soft at around 5dGH (German).
Just asking.

Taken from United Utilities website,
Note: Hardness Clarke 6.02 = 4.8dGH (German)

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
itsashrimpthing

Stephen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:45 am Which part of Blackpool do you live?
I always thought that Blackpool water was moderately soft at around 5dGH (German).
Just asking.

All the best
Yeah, I have no idea where I got 12 from ROFL

All seems fine now. My remaining shrimp are active, eating fine and moulting every 3-4 weeks. No signs of illness and the water parameters are stable. Perhaps just simple old age for the two I lost.
Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 15 Red Rili shrimp, 7 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra, 2 adult Albino BNs (1m, 1f) & 30+ fry

Small tank (planted): 30L Superfish Qubiq -- 20+ Ramshorn snails, 3 Endler's guppy adults (female) and 15 fry
itsashrimpthing

A few changes in this tank since July. The shrimp have now moved over to my 105L tank and this tank has just been Ramshorn snails. Started with 3 and now have 30-35. The tank just looks empty, so after a trip to my LFS, I now have 3x Endler guppies. I wanted 1x female and 2x males but after watching them for a while I think I may have a male bachelor group. Undecided whether to go back in a couple of weeks for a few more or to just leave the tank as is ::think::

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

Certainly is 3 males. The females have 0 colour and are larger ( like a guppy )
itsashrimpthing

So I decided to get a few females for the bachelor group and it's made the tank much more active. Definitely need a few more plants and that straggly stem in the background REALLY needs trimming ROFL I may also add some Blue Dreams as well.

itsashrimpthing

I didn't expect any of my guppy fry to survive when the first female started giving birth earlier than I expected. Breeder box hadn't arrived and no spare tank to move them where they wouldn't be dinner.

There is one lone survivor, swimming around like he owns the show, not a care in the world. Either the adults are full from their fry buffet or they have decided this one is worthy! Pictures soon when I can get a good shot :swim: