New Tank Project

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
itsashrimpthing
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 48 times

plankton wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am It's a bit soft for the Celestial Pearl Danios (they are not galaxy rasboras - that's their wrong original name ;) ), they come from a hard water pond.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to have a rethink of my options!
Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 15 Red Rili shrimp, 7 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra, 2 adult Albino BNs (1m, 1f) & 30+ fry

Small tank (planted): 30L Superfish Qubiq -- 20+ Ramshorn snails, 3 Endler's guppy adults (female) and 15 fry
itsashrimpthing

It's been a while since I have done an update on this tank and not much has changed really.

I added a top layer of fine sand, a few more plants, then left it a month to settle. Beginning of September I moved my Neons from the nano into this tank and they are doing really well. Today I placed an order with my LFS for a group of glass Bloodfin tetra which will be arriving next week.

The last to go in this tank with be a group of false Julii cory.

Large tank (planted): 105L Aquael Leddy 75 -- 15 Red Rili shrimp, 7 Neon Tetra, 11 Glass Bloodfin Tetra, 2 adult Albino BNs (1m, 1f) & 30+ fry

Small tank (planted): 30L Superfish Qubiq -- 20+ Ramshorn snails, 3 Endler's guppy adults (female) and 15 fry
Lee_k
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 330 times
Been liked: 676 times

Bargain of a tank!
Bicher Congo Biotope Tank Log
Discus Tank Tank Log
Musk Turtle Tank Tank Log

Mbuna TankTank Log - Shut down
Turtle Falls tankTank Log - Shut down
Betta Tank 58l - Shut down
itsashrimpthing

So it’s been a while again (I forgot all about my tank log!) and a few things have changed.

Since my last post I have added 11 glass bloodfin tetras and 10 red rili shrimp. I also swapped out the filter for a shrimp safe sponge filter.

After Christmas I will be adding a group of false julii corys and I think that will be it for this tank.

In my 30L now I just have a few cherry shrimp and ramshorn snails. Not sure what to do next with that one... :swim:

itsashrimpthing

So bad things have happened in the last 2 days! I noticed a shrimp on Saturday that I thought was berried, but on closer inspection Sunday morning it appears as if she has green fungus on her underside. I have isolated her in a container with an alder cone and an almond leaf, which was recommended due to their antibacterial properties. I have 3% H2O2 arriving tomorrow morning which I will be dosing in the container. Fingers crossed this will treat the issue.

On testing the tank water this morning, there has been a nitrite spike. The last test I did was Wednesday so I am wondering if this is connected to the fungus issue? Anyway, done a large water change, dosed with Seachem Prime and Stability. I also swapped out my filter from a Aquael 700 internal filter to a double sponge filter so the shrimp could graze on the colonising bacteria. Seems to have worked well as this is where they spend a good part of the day, but is it possible the tank is going through a mini cycle?

Hopefully things will settle down over the next couple of days. Apart from the one infected shrimp, everyone else in the tank seems fine.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

When you removed the internal filter, what did you do with the media inside it? If you replaced it directly with the sponge filter, you removed your beneficial bacteria and will be cycling from scratch I’m afraid. Although your posts suggest the filter switch was done November 12th so i’d Have expected the spike then rather than now....very odd.
Keep testing at least once daily, dose Prime and Stability as per bottle instructions to keep on top of everything and fingers crossed
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I wonder if the swap of filter has caused this, I was trying to work out on the other thread why this may have happened. ;)
Do as @VikingMummy2015 has suggested.
itsashrimpthing

All has settled in the tank now, readings have been stable for the last month. I was going to add Julii Corys to this tank, but my neighbour needed to rehome her plecos, so I now have 3 adult Albino Bristlenose plecos and one baby. Had a great algae wall established for my shrimp to graze on and within 24 hours, the plecos have pretty much hoovered it all up! ROFL

I have java wood ready to go in but it is refusing to sink. It's been soaking for nearly 3 weeks and had several boiling water baths but the damn thing still floats! I might have to drill a small cavity to help it along...

Pleco pics:

itsashrimpthing

Looking for advice on 2 things;

1. How do I get java wood to sink? I have washed it with boiling water several times and left it to soak weighted down for 3 weeks, but it still floats. It is currently floating in the corner of my tank.

2. How do I encourage my red rili shrimp to breed? Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, pH 6.8, GH 7, KH 6, temp 24°C. I have read conflicting info on temperature. Some sources say increase the temp to 26-28, but other say a water change with cooler water will trigger molts and breeding ::think:: I see molts the day after a water change but never had any berried females. I definitely have a mix of male and female and 4 of my females have been saddled for a while. I feed Hikari pellets and occassionally blanched veggies.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! ::thumb::

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

java wood? If its what i think it is, it won't ever sink as its from grape vine? I think. Post a picture and I'll let you know :D If its a rename of redmoor root or spider wood or another one of the 30000000 names they like to call it, weigh it down in the tank with a rock and let it do its thing for a few months.