Unwelcome addition?

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs
CLondon
Has Liked: 18 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unwelcome addition?

Post by CLondon »

Hi everyone

Recently bought some live plants which are thriving with additional carbon and fertiliser tablets. I tried to wash them as carefully as possible to check for any unwelcome eggs... well seems I missed some

Could someone please tell me what type of snail this is and should I remove it or how to deal with it (if need be)??

Cheers

Lee_k
Has Liked: 47 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Unwelcome addition?

Post by Lee_k »

Most worming meds for kish will kill all snails if you want rid! be careful though as it'll also harm shrimp if you have any!
Gravel River tank 260l Tank Log

Turtle Falls tank 260l Tank Log

Betta Tank 58l Tank Log

AshLawson
Has Liked: 52 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by AshLawson »

All I will say is get on it fast. They reproduce like you wouldn’t believe. Pick out any you see and destroy the eggs.
200l 1000x500 planted Amazonian, 24 x Paracheirodon innesi, 10 x Hyphessobrycon megalopterus, 6 x Corydoras Sterbai, 1 x BNP. Still to add a pair of Angels
2 x Fluval U4 internal

AshLawson

Post by AshLawson »

Oh and it’s likely a bladder snail.
200l 1000x500 planted Amazonian, 24 x Paracheirodon innesi, 10 x Hyphessobrycon megalopterus, 6 x Corydoras Sterbai, 1 x BNP. Still to add a pair of Angels
2 x Fluval U4 internal

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 2310 times
Been liked: 1485 times

Post by Gingerlove05 »

Hello and welcome :)
Yep it’s a bladder snail.
As mentioned remove them as you see them, dont crush them in the tank as they will release eggs that will hatch and produce more snails.
You can also set traps using fresh veg like lettuce or cucumber weighed down, just take them out remove the snails and replace :)
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!

CLondon

Post by CLondon »

Thanks for the replies, have spotted 2 already and taken out. Do they destroy the plants? Wondered if some of the leaves looked like they did because of the snails

Ric
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has Liked: 3407 times
Been liked: 1621 times

Post by Ric »

Chicken&egg @CLondon :D Some say they eat leaves, others that the plant is stressed/dying first and the snails just eat any decaying plant matter.
Bladder snails are great for clearing up uneaten fish food but they do multiply like crazy. Not sure whether they will attack healthy plants, though. If you are generally happy with snails, you could get assassin snails to get rid of any 'pest snails'.

CLondon

Post by CLondon »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 16:02 pm
Chicken&egg @CLondon :D Some say they eat leaves, others that the plant is stressed/dying first and the snails just eat any decaying plant matter.
Bladder snails are great for clearing up uneaten fish food but they do multiply like crazy. Not sure whether they will attack healthy plants, though. If you are generally happy with snails, you could get assassin snails to get rid of any 'pest snails'.
Thanks for this reply
Yeah been thinking about introducing assassin snail and see how it goes. Bloody buggers blend so well in with my black substrate.

Stephen
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 260 times
Been liked: 982 times

Post by Stephen »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Bladder snails.
I only buy my plants from reputable sources such as Aquarium Garden & Aqua Essentials.
Not only are their plants top quality but they also come chemical free and snail free (99.9% of the time). ;)

All the best
550L - Rio Ucayali themed
4 x Biotodoma Cupido, 53 x Paracheirodon innesi, 24 x Thayeria boehlkei, 18 x Gold Laser Cory (CW010), 2 x Flash pleco (L204) named George & Mildred :]

AshLawson

Post by AshLawson »

Ric wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 16:02 pm
I have a VERY healthy population of bladder snails! They don’t touch healthy plants. If they did, with the number I have I wouldn’t have any plants left! I have one very fat assassin snail, and I pull out about 30 per week by hand. Between me and the assassin we keep the population under control; and the bladder snails keep the fish waste, excess food and algae under control. I almost feel guilty pulling them out but they multiply like mad!
2 x Fluval U4 internal