Excited - diamond tetras / QT tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Popped the blue lights on for a little while as the Superfish has LEDs. The white stone was in the smaller tank so I chucked it in here but will probably take it out tomorrow as it's nearly flourescent!

https://youtu.be/a42kjq5TzA0

Will get another video tomorrow in daylight and see how they're getting on. Some (when they're out 🙄 are starting to show small flashes of colour though a way to go yet).
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Ah now that looks loads better :)
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3421 times

That's a nice herd of diamonds now! :D
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Many sparkly shiny diamonds 💎💎😁. Actually, should it be that I have 'a sparkle of diamonds'?

I wish I'd known about Acres Aquatics before I went to the other shop. Hey ho! I only managed to get there about 20 minutes before it closed, thanks to the traffic, but the guy was really patient, friendly and helpful and didn't make me feel rushed.

He recommended that they are all QT for 4-6 weeks minimum. Especially, as the ones I have from last week don't seem to have been QT at all but were added to a tank in a centralised shop system immediately after arrival... And then brought home by me less than three days later and put into yet another new environment. No wonder they are flighty and stressed 😔😔

So, glad I've done the 80 now, they will be far more comfortable and easier to manage water parameters in a larger tank.

@plankton The soaking food in garlic thing to help with their immune systems - is it literally that you get a clove of fresh garlic, squash it for the juice, marinate the pellets etc in it and then feed it? How long do you leave the food in the juice, and do you do it once or twice a week?

Thanks 😊
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Updated video from this evening

https://youtu.be/aqQEHZdyTS4

Still got to take out the white stone. Also need to top it up with another few litres of water; and intend to maybe add a little more cover.
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

They are glittering now! Lovely.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

@WinterRose73 You can do that, or, if it's crushed enough just feed it straight.
It must be as small as possible (unless you have big-mouthed fish) and for your tank I'd only use half a clove.
For medicinal purposes it's best to leave it for about 10 mins so the garlic enzymes start working.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Great, thank you @plankton. I'll be better to soak it I think, I'm not great with teeny tiny chopping! For medicinal purposes, is there a guide on how many times per week, would one or two be OK? Also if I have frozen brine shrimp with garlic added, should I stop using that if I'm going to soak food in fresh stuff?

Thanks 🙂
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

@WinterRose73 I do twice a week in the q-tank for the 6 weeks of quarantine.
After that, I just feed every 4 months or so.
WinterRose73
Posting Legend

Added a background to the QT tank on Sunday as the towel I'd popped over the back kept falling off. D'oh.

The diamonds seem to be doing well, everyone seems to be healthy. I'm fairly sure I've managed to count the whole group out at once flying about! Favourite pastimes seem to be glass surfing at the end of the tank where the filter flow hits and also along the back. No one seems to be in any distress so I assume they are just enjoying the flow of the filter...

They seem to be feeding readily though I can't be certain that all of them are, they dart around very quickly...

They are starting to show more colour / glitter now but it doesn't translate very well to the video on my phone. Better in daylight but then there'd be reflections!

Two videos below are fairly similar but slightly different flashes of colour here and there...

https://youtu.be/HvruTM8zNuQ

https://youtu.be/rafc6CXk8fQ

😊😊