New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Ok...so the old log was at 100 pages so I figure it’s time to start over again, seeing as it’s new tank day 1 anyway.

Summary: I started looking into fish September 2017 when my son was fascinated by them in P @ H (he rarely looks at them at home, of course 🤦🏽‍♀️). Thankfully I did my research and didn’t just listen to them. My older two also got interested and pooled birthday money to buy a 29L tank and 6 White Cloud Mountain minnows. I went for a 240L Fluval Roma (harlequin Rasbora, Rummynose tetra, cardinal tetra, sterbai Cory, ottos and pearl gourami). I also then added another 29L tank January 2018 with a Betta, then a school of various Boraras sp (after accidentally raising a rummynose tetra fry).

Sadly I had to sell up all but the minnow tank in October 2018 when I left the ex. During lockdown I had to decide if I wanted to keep going with the hobby (after neglecting things for a good while as I got my life back on track, son’s autism diagnosis etc). I went for it....

July 17th I got my Betta, Ghost, in the 29L. Then early August I stocked my Fluval Flex 57L brand shiny new tank. I also started cycling a 54L tank, but never quite got it stocked because this week, 8th September, I took delivery of a second hand 240L Roma again.

I’ve emptied the 54L and will sell it on. The cycled media went into the 306 external filter, along with spare media that was handily sitting in the back of the Flex. So hopefully the 4ppm of ammonia I added to the Roma will be quick to process 🤞🏻. I’m adding Stability because that definitely helped cycle the 3 tanks over the summer.

Planned stock: 12 emperor tetra, 12 rummynose tetra, 10 sterbai Cory, 6-8 ottos, 8 cherry barbs (from the Flex) and 5 honey gourami....although it’s been pointed out that my filters might well be too strong for them. I’m running the external 306 at one end, and an internal Fluval 4 plus at the other. So I may go for pearls again and rehomed my honey girls.

Here’s pictures of past and present tanks

240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

24 hours after dosing 9.6ml ammonia (so potentially slightly over 4ppm), these are my results.

pH (just did the low as it *will* drop to low range test once it really gets going), kH was 2 drops 😱 (better than expected!), ammonia and nitrite. So my cycled media is doing *something* alongside the Stability.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

I do like the blue background you had on your previous tank. I am thinking of switching mine to similar, was it something like one of the Juwel posters that you had?

New tank progress great!

Possibly world's stupidest question... Does having holes for filters etc in the tank base make any difference at all to things like water tightness / structural integrity? I was just curious as I don't know how some of these things work.
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
Suse
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 440 times

Excited for the new log! Your old tanks were stunning, but there's nothing like a fresh start.
WinterRose73 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 17:18 pm
Possibly world's stupidest question... Does having holes for filters etc in the tank base make any difference at all to things like water tightness / structural integrity? I was just curious as I don't know how some of these things work.
Not a stupid question! I have the same tank, as do quite a few of us on here. It is 100% safe and watertight as it's part of the overall design. It does only work with compatible filters ie the Fluval 306/307 or 406/407, not sure if there are others. You can use it with a different filter (internal or external) if you wish, as it comes with caps to securely screw off the drilled outlets.

Some people drill their own tanks but I wouldn't be brave enough for that...
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

WinterRose73 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 17:18 pm I do like the blue background you had on your previous tank. I am thinking of switching mine to similar, was it something like one of the Juwel posters that you had?

New tank progress great!

As Suse says, the tank is designed for it to be watertight....I was just nervy because I didn’t have any sort of manual and my ex was a bit of a sod at putting me down and denying my confidence! However; hah! I did it with a lot less hassle than when he put together the first one 🤣.
The blue background was actually the reverse side of some coral reef print...why anyone would put corals etc as a background for a freshwater tank, i’ve No idea. I was very new to tanks when we got it so hadn’t even considered needing a background. It was meant to be a temporary fix but it did actually work! I know you can get “officially” blue ones though.

WinterRose73
Posting Legend
Has liked: 822 times
Been liked: 693 times

Ah the joy of ex's... 🙄 🙄🙄

Yes, I would agree with corals as a background for a freshwater set up. A slightly odd choice but I guess they can be pretty and colourful. Though I think I'd prefer my fish to do that job 🤭

OK, interesting to know re the drilled holes. Ta 🙂
'Take wasps,' Death continued. 'Wasps are made entirely from bastard. Whose grand design are they part of?'
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Well...that’s pretty darn good for 3 days!

I think I’ll top it off to 2ppm and see where it’s at tomorrow. I was expecting much greener than that (only tested kH and nitrite yesterday 🤣).

Water changes done in Ghost’s tank and the Flex. Definitely concerned about the flow in the Roma being too much for my Honey girls though....but the thought of rehoming them makes me sad. But I can’t keep 3 tanks running full time, not when one of them is running 2 filters! So if it’s a choice between Ghost and the Honeys, the girls are going to have to go. I will try getting some sponge over the filter outlets this week and see if that calms things down a bit.
Best sponge and best way to fasten it on?

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

what size is the inlet pipe? I've used Pat-Mini sponges on 16mm pipework ( Course sponges though ) and Fluval Edge sponges on 12mm pipework ( well, the compatibles! )
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

The other question is: why do you need to run 2 filters in the Fluval? Perhaps your external is big enough for your planned stock?

Also, could the honeys go in with Ghost or do you think he would attack them?
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Ric wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 14:55 pm The other question is: why do you need to run 2 filters in the Fluval? Perhaps your external is big enough for your planned stock?

Also, could the honeys go in with Ghost or do you think he would attack them?
It’s the 306 external which I know isn’t really the best model for the size of tank. The internal came with it so I figured it’s best to run both and be over filtered rather than under (and then I can definitely have the full stock).

I have heard enough about Betta with other gourami to not want to risk it. One female is a bit feisty and i’m Not sure who’d come off worse. Ghost seems generally placid (swims away from a mirror when I try to get him flaring) but I don’t want to worry about finding a bloodbath one day.