New Tank Log: VikingMummy

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1832 times

We have BABY EMPEROR TETRA!!! Squeeeeee! At least 3 spotted this morning that must have been maturing amongst all the leaf litter as they’re 100% recognisable. Makes up for the dead cardinal I found this morning (difficult to say cause because it had been nibbled at).

Perfect start to National Pet Day (apparently)! And great timing for our Animal Welfare home education topic starting today too!

And on posting this, just spotted at least one more tiny fish. Looks like potentially two spawns as these are even smaller than the one pictured!
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1791 times
Been liked: 4240 times

yay!!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5068 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Always nice to see. :D
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4259 times
Been liked: 3919 times

The water parameters must good in your aquarium for this to occur.

Pat on the back for you @VikingMummy2015 :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

They like lurking but today I was able to count 7 fry all visible at one time in various locations around the tank. There are definitely 2 that are larger and belonging to a different spawn from the smaller ones. Looking at those 2, one has green eyes and the other has blue so that’s exciting to see. The rest are still too small to say anything other than Emperor tetra…very different from when I had my lone Rummynose fry back in 2018 when it took a good week or more to be certain on species!

I suspect the Cardinal that died may have been too slow escaping a rampaging Emperor male as my dominant male is incredibly protective of that part of the tank now he’s successfully spawned at least once (and probably both spawns).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5068 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Mine have gold eyes until they're about 2 months old, the singleton fry I got last time has now gone green (only the eyes, obviously! ;) :D)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4259 times
Been liked: 3919 times

plankton wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 am Mine have gold eyes until they're about 2 months old, the singleton fry I got last time has now gone green (only the eyes, obviously! ;) :D)
You been drinking? ...think @plankton been at the aquarium water again. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2280 times
Been liked: 1946 times

Hey VM that's fantastic, I am quite limited by my water although a lot of fish will adapt few will breed, I am just starting to get into breeding by keeping a lot more livebearer's, it's a side of the hobby I've never really tried to venture into until recently, it's certainly providing me with more interest, I bet you are watching your tank more now with little ones to watch out for, I hope your young man enjoys it as well :happy:
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

We’ve had another spawning as I saw more smaller fry again during/after today’s water change. At one point I was able to count 10 fry at various sizes. The older ones are definitely starting to get braver and coming out and about a wee bit more. Definitely one male amongst them as even his fins are starting to get the yellow edging as well as the blue eyes. He’s bigger than the 3 others that I saw with him last night too.

Nice to know I’ll not need to buy any new fish until the boy decides he wants different colours in there! And very glad for having the bigger filter than necessary to keep on top of it all.