GL’s multiple tank log

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Well that was short lived...
Pretty sure i seen mum eat one of the babies this afternoon, and we’ve only managed to spot 3 at most spread out :-/
Now we’re questioning whether we bother again....my OH is raging and getting pretty miffed, I’m sat quizzing if i did anything wrong after/by doing the water change, but also there’s the whole process of moving Mickey over and then potentially back again when they breed as she would likely beat hell in to him again. :banghead:
Feeling a bit deflated :(
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Really sorry to read that GL. It was going so well.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thanks Andy, just feels like a repeat of before yet did things differently with the hatching/breeding area and had a better initial result, with the same/similar result after a couple/few weeks.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1823 times

Awwww....just catching up with tank logs. So cute....and then Mama Nature steps in.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

So sorry to read this, that's horrible.

Why would a water change prompt her to attack her fry, though? Is that something that is known to happen? The alternative would be to not do any water change? Or wait, say, 4-6 weeks?

We pondered this before but all I can suggest is to try with dither fish in the tank - small shoal of neons or glowlight tetras, perhaps, and see whether this will make a difference.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

We may have jumped the gun a little, although she isn’t herding them around like she was, i have spotted 8, still spread out a bit, just wondering if they’ll group back up. A few of them have followed her and been in her line of sight and she hasn’t bothered chasing them. She has seemed to have waited for them to catch up a bit as well, so i’m really not sure what is going on.
Still not sure if I’ve upset things a bit clearing the algae, taking the almond leaf out etc.
But they can suddenly decide they’re not happy and will eat their own fry, as they effectively reuse the energy to create new eggs.
Dithers may be an option but its getting ones suitable to our hardness.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

X-ray tetras Iain. ;)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

They’re the only one i know that can handle the hardness Ian ;)
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Ok so you know when this hobby feels like it kicks you down, brings you up a tad to kick you back down again? Just me? :dodgy:
Mickey has early signs of dropsy :banghead: he’s still eating and swimming about normally and holding his position when he stops.
I have no idea how or why and I’ve never had any luck treating it. Only did a water change 2 days ago.
Either way i went straight into automatic emergency mode, carried out a large water change and added a dose of interpet anti internal bacteria (interpet #9).
Interestingly i was reading up on dropsy and treatment the other week after another post. And a few posts mention about salt baths or using salt in the quarantine. I’m not normally a fan of salts but a few articles i read mention about using epsom salt (magnesium sulphate). Which I’m ok with as it comes as part of the EI dosing kit. So along with the water change I’ve also added some to the change water, see if it helps as its not something I come across before. I’m hoping it will work, if not the plants will get a boost, worst case maybe the algae, which will please Sarah.
Anyway since the water change he has perked up a fair bit, so i’m going to feed some brine shrimp and garlic tonight and mushed pea tomorrow.
Going all out! Sword drawn and into the void we’re heading! ::damnit::
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 1823 times

Never rains but it pours with fish! Keeping my fingers crossed for all the inhabitants, big and small.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.