adm's 1st tank

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Waterlife Protozin and Seachem Paraguard are pretty good.
Do a water change before you start.
Both break down within 48 hours, so you don't need to do large water changes at the end of the course. (You can but don't NEED to ;) )
I always suggest feeding garlic (crushed for 10 minutes) either direct or by soaking the food in it. That builds up the immune systems.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Been liked: 91 times

So just a clove of fresh garlic, crushed finely and dropped into the tank?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

adm wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:51 am So just a clove of fresh garlic, crushed finely and dropped into the tank?
Yes as @plankton says. You'll find a lot of aquarium food products have now added garlic added these days.

I use garlic enriched frozen Brine Shrimp with my fish for quite a few years now.
The Benefits of Garlic In Fish Food
Jul . 18 / 2018

In various scientific studies, garlic has been show to significantly promote growth, decrease mortality and increase antioxidant activity in fish.

Garlic is an effective appetite enhancer and the most powerful component of garlic is called allicin. Allicin is the chemical in garlic that has the power to actively and directly kill parasites and it has been shown in scientific studies to actively kill parasites including freshwater Ich, marine white spot (also known as marine Ich), and others.

When 0%, 1%, 2%, and 3% garlic supplementation was add to the food of Tilapia zillii, it was found that with the increase of supplementation, growth rate and survival rate also increased.
Source: tropicalmarinecentre.com
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Excellent. I love garlic, so have plenty of it around. I will do that now...

I clove of garlic, grated finely with a microplane grater now added - and the fish seem to like it as well.

How often would you repeat that?
Martinspuddle

adm wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:34 am How often would you repeat that?
I give it to them once a week, but I cannot see why it wouldn't harm in your situation to give more.

In my aquarium pesky Ancistrus always hog the stuff! :mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Thank you. I will give them a clove every couple of days until the Ich has gone. And then once a week.

One question on the Ich though.....if/when the fish are back to back to normal, does that mean the Ich is completely gone from the tank, or can it kind of lay dormant and pop up again?
Martinspuddle

adm wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:51 am or can it kind of lay dormant and pop up again?
Your learning. :] ...stress, poor water quality and our friendly Theronts will jump onto the nearest sickly host.
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Thanks again. I thought it probably would. It would be all too easy if you could just kill it and be done....
Martinspuddle

It's the gift that keeps giving. :dodgy2:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/fa006
adm
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Martinspuddle wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:26 am It's the gift that keeps giving. :dodgy2:
I thought that was eating Kippers for breakfast and then going out on a long motorcycle ride....