Cory fry!

Jon_D
Has Liked: 238 times
Been liked: 401 times

Re: Cory fry!

Post by Jon_D »

STAFFY So far In have seen 1 "teenager" Cory and 2 other smaller Cory fry in addition to Solo. To be honest I really don't want anymore as I think 9 is enough for 40 gallon tank, in addition to my other inmates. I hope that all the family will be out in the open pretty soon, so I can video them. I might place a picture of "Fish and Chips" in front of the tank to deter them from breeding. The tiddler which I have had in the Kintergarten Tank for the past 2 weeks is still very small, I have no idea what it is, but at least it seems to survive on de-frozen baby Brine shrimp. It is about 5 or 6 mm long; hopefully it will grow so i can at least see what species it is. It stays at the bottom of the tank or under the Indian Almon leaf so I cannot get my camera which needs to be in macro mode, near it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!

Staffylover
Has Liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by Staffylover »

Haha nice problem to have Jon, :) gradually I will be adding more plants into my tanks as they get revamped so this might help but still think I will need a breeder box for eggs as the other fish follow the cory around eating the eggs pretty much straight away or within the hour anyway, have to be quick off the mark to save any at all :rolleyes:
180l small fish community
350l Jewel Rio jungle tank
420l 6ft river tank - lake kutubu rainbows, scissortails.

Jon_D

Post by Jon_D »

STAFFY I also need to sort out the plants in the tank. I have mostly Elodea Densa which the fish seem to like very much. However I will now need to wait until the Cory Fry get settled down as I don't swant to disturb them with re-planting. ATM, 2 of them seem inclined now to come out a little into the open and feed nearer the front of the tank. Little Solo remains in the Magic Forrest of Moss only appearing now and again. I'ld like to get a "Family " video of them all.
Waiting today for the Live baby Brine Shrimp to be delivered, and then I will drop the water temperature in the hope that the Zebra Danios will be encouraged to spawn and one of the females is very heavy with eggs. I though I'd stopped being a worried parent years and years ago. :D

RedLee
Has Liked: 90 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by RedLee »

Jon - nice vids of the youngsters. :)

Staffy - Sorry that your fry didn't survive. :(

At the last count, i had 4 baby panda's.
I've seen 3 together but not seen the 4th for a little while.
There are loads of places in my tank for them to hide so hopefully there are still 4.
Marina Vue 87L - 4 Harelquin Rasbora, 2 Honey Gourami, 9 Panda Cory, 6 Cherry Barb, 4 Amano Shrimp
Filtration Fluval 207

Jon_D

Post by Jon_D »

So having done a 25% water change the temperature has dropped down to 66 from the customary, 71. I checked that the drop hasn't affected the tiny fry and they seem fine ATM, even the smallest, Solo, is digging around for grub as usual. I addded the live brine shrimp, and to be honest, I have spent more time watching them than the fish!. Of course the greedy 3 boy Guppies were most interested, but strangely the Zebra Danios just ignored the live food. Well I will check again in a few hours. I hope the water change hasn't sent the Corys into another sex-mad session.
REDLEE, hope your baby Pandas do well. Its fascinating watching the little fry. But sorry about STAFFYs experience. If my experiment with the water temperature and the live brine shrimp works, I'll certainly let you know STAFFY.

RedLee

Post by RedLee »

Jon_D wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 15:20 pm
REDLEE, hope your baby Pandas do well. Its fascinating watching the little fry. But sorry about STAFFYs experience. If my experiment with the water temperature and the live brine shrimp works, I'll certainly let you know STAFFY.
Thanks Jon. I saw all 4 Pandas yesterday so they are doing well.
As for water temperature, I read somewhere that fry survive better at a reduced temperature but I left my tank at its usual 75.
Marina Vue 87L - 4 Harelquin Rasbora, 2 Honey Gourami, 9 Panda Cory, 6 Cherry Barb, 4 Amano Shrimp
Filtration Fluval 207

Jon_D

Post by Jon_D »

"As for water temperature, I read somewhere that fry survive better at a reduced temperature but I left my tank at its usual 75."
I dropped my teperature a few weeks ago from 75 to 71,. on advice of a few of the forum members. It appears that Corys do not like a higher temperature; certainly ithe lower temps seems to have increased their procreation desires, as they are always at it, and I have at least 3 generations of youngsters. There are 8 Corys at the moment and I think that is enough as they really mess up the substrate, but stillo, they are fun to watch.

Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has Liked: 1043 times
Been liked: 468 times

Post by Fishtales »

Jon_D wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:57 am
I dropped my teperature a few weeks ago from 75 to 71,. on advice of a few of the forum members. It appears that Corys do not like a higher temperature; certainly ithe lower temps seems to have increased their procreation desires, as they are always at it, and I have at least 3 generations of youngsters. There are 8 Corys at the moment and I think that is enough as they really mess up the substrate, but stillo, they are fun to watch.
I believe the Cory aeneus are okay with higher temps. Mine are at 25C (77F) and my little baby miracle is doing amazingly well. They maybe would prefer it a bit cooler, but I have the Clown Loach to think about as well. My tank with the Cory Panda is at 22.5C (72.5F) though, as like you Jon I took advice from the forum regarding them :)

The biggest difference to my tank is that I have drastically reduced the water hardness. Never had a cory baby until then :)
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205

RedLee

Post by RedLee »

Fishtales wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am
The biggest difference to my tank is that I have drastically reduced the water hardness. Never had a cory baby until then :)
I live in a hard water area and don't do anything to reduce the hardness.
The 4 youngsters seem to be doing well and tonight I've just seen a fifth :)
Filtration Fluval 207

Jon_D

Post by Jon_D »

RedLee...How many now altogether?