Has Liked: 90 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: Cory fry!

Post by RedLee »

Jon_D wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 20:07 pm
RedLee...How many now altogether?
5 youngsters and 3 adults.
Marina Vue 87L - 4 Harelquin Rasbora, 2 Honey Gourami, 9 Panda Cory, 6 Cherry Barb, 4 Amano Shrimp
Filtration Fluval 207

Jon_D
Has Liked: 237 times
Been liked: 401 times

Post by Jon_D »

."5 youngsters and 3 adults"....
Are you reaching the limit? I think the 8 I have will be eniough as I only have one 40 gallon tank and a 15 gallon one for quarantine. Although in the smaller tank I have a tiny tidler which is only about 5mm long and I have no idea at all what it is. It doesn't seem to have grown much in the past 2 weeks, but is still very lively. Just feeding it on de-frosted brine shrimp and also put an Indian Almond leaf in there, as recommended. I don't want to put it into the 40 gallon one as it might get killed or run down by the fast swimmers there. :) But I must bite the bullet soon as I really need to replant. I may have more time that I want if the Gov. tells me to stay at home for 4 months !!! :dodgy: as I am in (well within) that age cohort. :P Total number of fish in the 40 gallon was (I haven't been able to get a roll call recently,,) 30.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!

Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has Liked: 1043 times
Been liked: 468 times

Post by Fishtales »

RedLee wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 19:57 pm
Fishtales wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:15 am
The biggest difference to my tank is that I have drastically reduced the water hardness. Never had a cory baby until then :)
I live in a hard water area and don't do anything to reduce the hardness.
The 4 youngsters seem to be doing well and tonight I've just seen a fifth :)
Lol, well there goes my theory ROFL

I always thought the two 3yr old Albino I have were a boy and girl, but maybe they are both female. They are both a good size with one just slightly smaller. This would mean my 18 month old bronze cories must have at least one boy who has come of age as it were and fertilized the eggs. I am sure they can start younger than that but probably only have the one boy (there is a noticably smaller one of the four). Hopefully the younger ones I got recently will have more males in them.

Yet again this is a suggestion my OH made. Looks like he is right again! :rolleyes: :D

Congratulations of finding another baby @RedLee So nice to hear they are doing well :D
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205

RedLee

Post by RedLee »

Jon_D wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 21:28 pm
."5 youngsters and 3 adults"....
Are you reaching the limit? I think the 8 I have will be eniough as I only have one 40 gallon tank and a 15 gallon one for quarantine. Although in the smaller tank I have a tiny tidler which is only about 5mm long and I have no idea at all what it is. It doesn't seem to have grown much in the past 2 weeks, but is still very lively. Just feeding it on de-frosted brine shrimp and also put an Indian Almond leaf in there, as recommended. I don't want to put it into the 40 gallon one as it might get killed or run down by the fast swimmers there. :) But I must bite the bullet soon as I really need to replant. I may have more time that I want if the Gov. tells me to stay at home for 4 months !!! :dodgy: as I am in (well within) that age cohort. :P Total number of fish in the 40 gallon was (I haven't been able to get a roll call recently,,) 30.
I originally had 5 Pandas which I thought was the limit for my tank with regards to space as it is heavily planted and has minimal bare substrate to root around in.
This new find takes me up to 8 Pandas so I either give a couple away or remove some of the rocks to provide more area for them. I don't really want to mess with the scape though.

They are in a 20g tank with 4 Harlequin Rasboras, 2 Honey Gouramis and 6 newly introduced Cherry Barbs. Plus 4 Amanos.
Filtration is not a problem,with the mass of plants and the fluval 207.
Marina Vue 87L - 4 Harelquin Rasbora, 2 Honey Gourami, 9 Panda Cory, 6 Cherry Barb, 4 Amano Shrimp
Filtration Fluval 207

RedLee

Post by RedLee »

Fishtales wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 21:52 pm
Lol, well there goes my theory ROFL

I always thought the two 3yr old Albino I have were a boy and girl, but maybe they are both female. They are both a good size with one just slightly smaller. This would mean my 18 month old bronze cories must have at least one boy who has come of age as it were and fertilized the eggs. I am sure they can start younger than that but probably only have the one boy (there is a noticably smaller one of the four). Hopefully the younger ones I got recently will have more males in them.

Yet again this is a suggestion my OH made. Looks like he is right again! :rolleyes: :D

Congratulations of finding another baby @RedLee So nice to hear they are doing well :D
Thanks Fishtales.
Was surprised to see another and significantly younger than the others.
Although I'm hoping I don't find any more.
They seem to be doing well which is probably more luck than judgement. I'm still very new to this having bought my first tank last September.

I have 3 adult Pandas and, up until recently, didn't know their gender. It seems like I have 2 males and a poor overworked female.
I only got them last October when they were barely an inch long so I'm even more surprised that they are breeding already.
Filtration Fluval 207

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has Liked: 1624 times
Been liked: 1426 times

Post by plankton »

Two males per female is the correct ratio for corys.
I got 2 pandas to boost the gene pool a couple of years ago, and after I'd moved them in with the main group I found 3 fry swimming about! Now that was unexpected!

RedLee

Post by RedLee »

plankton wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:43 am
Two males per female is the correct ratio for corys.
I got 2 pandas to boost the gene pool a couple of years ago, and after I'd moved them in with the main group I found 3 fry swimming about! Now that was unexpected!
Thanks for the info.
I was going by the fact that usually it's more females to males for other species ;)
Filtration Fluval 207

Mol_PMB
Has Liked: 199 times
Been liked: 672 times

Post by Mol_PMB »

Most Corydoras breed best with a 2m:1f ratio as noted above.
A few of the bigger long-snouted ones (e.g. Corydoras lineage 1 and Scleromystax) have males that challenge for dominance and in those cases just a single male may be best.

With most plecos, the male guards the eggs, so again more males than females is usually preferred.
However they do seem more fussy about partners so more than one of each sex is better.

Jon_D
Has Liked: 237 times
Been liked: 401 times

Post by Jon_D »

Weooooo well. !!!! That tiny tidler I rescued from the community tank 2 weeks ago and popped into the Kintergarten Tank can now be identified. It is a CORY FRY! So if I can manage to keep him/her alive that will be 3 generations of Cory fry.... at least;
1. Teenager. (maybe 2)
2 Solo
3 Tiddles.
I now seek yet more advice from my expert colleagues, who haven't failed me at all. When should I replace him into the Community Tank? He/she (Tiddles) is about 10mm long now and just beginning to show Cory Pepper patterning.
@RedLee now its your turn. :P
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some great ideas!

Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has Liked: 1043 times
Been liked: 468 times

Post by Fishtales »

Congratulations Jon! Can't advise you regarding moving Tiddles, but love reading all the success these little cory seem to be having on the forum :D
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205