Geophagus is really sick, help!

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Scott.turner28
Been liked: 14 times

my geophagus is not in a good way. Basically last week i looked in the tank, and a few had white spot, including the geophagus, 2 oscars, a green terror and jack demsey. So i treat the whole tank, all fish habe healed wothin 7 days.. except the geo, hes appearing worse. Hes very stressed, the spots are maybe worse and there appears to be a film ovwr his eyes in a white form. Heres a pic. Im rubbish with diseases so if anyone can identify i can resolve! Thanks. Help wanted asap as i dont want him dying, or spreading to my other fish who have recovered from white spot. Cheers!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Yep, you have Ichthyophthirius (white spot) or your fish have.

So, any ideas what started it and what are water parameters?

You do know you'll have to self isolate for 14 days. :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle

Scott.turner28 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 18:15 pm Help wanted asap as i dont want him dying, or spreading to my other fish who have recovered from white spot.
It will be still within the aquarium, he maybe weaker or is he getting on in age?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott.turner28

yes well i got him fully adult so, he could be getting on im unsure. The rest of the fish are great, no problems..
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

What treatment did you use?

Do you know what caused the white spot? Only stressed fish get it so there was some factor that caused the stress. It won’t cure unless the cause of the stress is rectified, so the Geo is obviously still stressed.

That’s if this is whitespot. It looks a bit odd, and might possibly be Epistylis, which is a protozoan so should be killed by most if not all whitespot treatments.
Scott.turner28

the ammonia is at 0ppm the nitrite is 0ppm and the nitrate is 5ppm. I moved some fish around recently so he has some new friends in there, however not sure why this would cause a problem. I took most hiding spots away as was bleaching the rock. Would this be a factor. Also my jd does have a single spot on her head. I use nt labs white spot and anti fungus, always worked well in the past.
Martinspuddle

@Scott.turner28 the move probably cause the stress and therefore the Ichthyophthirius took hold.

Follow @black ghost advice on this one, he use to dealing with larger Cichlids.
Scott.turner28

Thankyou, ill continue to treat tank, or i could move him but all my tanks are stocked except a 40l, 10 gallon is too small for him even for hospitalising is it? Hes 5-6 inches.. im also worried about other fish, but if they are not stressed will they be fine ghost? Thanks
Martinspuddle

Scott.turner28 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 18:57 pm Thankyou, ill continue to treat tank, or i could move him but all my tanks are stocked except a 40l, 10 gallon is too small for him even for hospitalising is it? Hes 5-6 inches.. im also worried about other fish, but if they are not stressed will they be fine ghost? Thanks
Don't move him, that will be the final nail in the coffin. You may lose him yet, keep up the treatment, you need to break the cycle.

Further reading ich in fish. https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/fr ... ll-article
Scott.turner28

Okay, im soaking the holey rock i had in beach and them ill put outside in bucket over night with water, rince again in morning and soak in prime for few hours, then may be ok to add back and he can hide to chill out. Lights have been off for over a week ill keep it that way.. hope i dont loose him, ill do slower transactions in future to hopefully avoid this. Thanks