Sexing Bolivian Rams

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

I’m still not sure if the one on the right might be female . My first couple had fought and had lots of jaw locking , didn’t end well..
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

It's not constant with the lip-locking but I do get the feeling they're not going to coexist long-term. One or both will probably have to move on.

I really could do with a house move to make room for a long tank, corner ones are great spacesavers but it does make like difficult with territorial fish.
Sixo
Posting Legend

Got somebody offering to re-home one or both, asked them to send me photo of their tank do you think either of these is suitable? They're longer tanks than mine but a bit cichilid-heavy already don't you think? 1st tank has a load of kribensis in it.

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

The tank without the kribs in would probably be ok, there are a few single cichlids which the Bolivian should be ok with.
I can't make out whether the "silver" fish is a pacu or a dollar, neither of which is aggressive, but should be in a group really.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Kribs will hate their company, would probably kill the rams in a few weeks.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Unless I’m very much mistaken it’s a Red Piranha. There are no dollars or pacu that look like that.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

black ghost wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:41 am Unless I’m very much mistaken it’s a Red Piranha. There are no dollars or pacu that look like that.
Just spotted that, it is indeed!
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Sixo
Posting Legend

Definitely gonna err on the side of caution then, even in the krib tank the guy says he has a blue ram in there aswell can just about see it down the left side.

Try to put an ad out there explaining the situation and ask for some basic details of setup etc and people just message with "is this still available?" "I'll take them both when can I collect?" Does my head in.

It's not the most pressing issue they can get away from each other when they need to but obviously so until a better offer comes will make do.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

You’ve certainly dodged a bullet with that one anyway. The picture quality is carp but in the krib tank I can make out odd fish... 1 harlequin, 1 emperor(?), a bluey thing just left of the lovely pink rock, and a few others that I can’t see well enough.
In the other tank he has an angel with a jewel cichlid, and as if that wasn’t dangerous enough, a piranha (he possibly thinks it’s a dollar)...

I don’t envy you trying to find a suitable home. I’ve had to or wanted to part with fish a few times. It’s not nice when you can’t find a good home for them.

Good excuse for another tank though. :)
Sixo
Posting Legend

Got another offer to take the 2 male Bolivians, guy says he can take both, and that he has some rams in there somewhere, now to decide whether to re-home both or just one to split them up...