Maximum lifespan gourami?

Betta's, Gouramis etc
MorganB

Hi all,
I have a query if anyone knows the maximum lifespan of a golden gourami in captivity? I have one that we have owned for 5 years now, after giving it a home in our tank after a friend's broke and they couldn't afford to replace it (yay! Fish save!) So not sure how old it is in total but a minimum of 5 and a half years at the moment.

However, I don't mean the next bit to sound heartless but....I'm wondering what the maximum lifespan is? Basically, this is the most aggressive gourami there seems to be on the planet. Over the last 5 years it has killed ALL of our other fish, including new ones we tried to introduce as a nice companion species until we gave up as it just wasn't fair on the other fish. We have for some time now owned a 120L tank...with one fish in it.

I can't in good conscience re-home it as it would just kill the new owners other fish, and we had just thought to wait it out, but almost all the info I could find said a 5 year life span, and I'm just starting to wonder if it's an invincible fish and we'll never be able to have a fish tank with a community in it again! Any info on other people's experiences of how long they can go for would be appreciated!

(If it makes any difference when I say we rescued it from a friend's tank which had broken...it was the filter had broken and you literally couldn't see through the water when we went to get it out, it was the only fish left alive, I don't know if this survival has given it some sort of special powers)
Mfisher
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

I believe they can live up to 6 years, but of course that’s only a guide.

What type of fish have you tried keeping with it?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
They are grumpy, but you should be able to rehome it to someone who has a tankful of other grumpy fish that can withstand it's grumpiness. ;)
They can live around 10+ years, so it would be better to try and rehome it.
Do you know whether it's male of female? (a pic would help to id it)
Also, if the other fish don't mind, you could turn the temp down if it's above 25C as that tends to calm them down a little.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
MorganB wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 13:18 pm We have for some time now owned a 120L tank...with one fish in it.
Little chance of overcrowding then! :grin:

I have kept Blue and Opaline Gourami's (Trichopodus trichopterus) and yes once reaching near adulthood they are somewhat pugnacious in a home aquarium. My suggestion is either wait a little longer if you have other plans for the aquarium or you buy (preferably via quarantine) in other robust fish, more Gourami's, Barbs, Loaches, larger Tetras or as I found Swordtails (Xiphophorus helleri) get on very well with them, baring in mind the size aquarium, water hardness, your choice will be limited or just purchase a larger aquarium.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
MorganB

Hi, thanks all, had no idea it could be over 10 years! Originally we had cardinal tetras and neons, cherry barbs, dwarf gourami, zebra loach and Pakistan loach, male guppies, a couple of black widow tetras and red tailed shark fish (these all had a bit of crossover at different points over the last 5 years as they got eaten at various points) Not certain if it's male or female I will take a picture when I can (it's currently in the nursery and the boys asleep!)
MorganB

Here's the tenacious bugger, not sure if male or female
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Looks female to me, so not quite as grumpy as a male, and easier to re-home with other gold gourami.