Betta tank suggestions

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

Hello.

I'm after some suggestions for a tank to keep a single betta in.

I'm doing my son's bedroom out soon and I want to give him his own pet. He just turned 6 and does karate. (He is right into it and very good for his age, his grandad runs an excellent karate club so it's in the family.) He will love the idea of a fighting fish.

Could anyone point me towards some good tanks, not too big and recommend a filter setup. If I go for it I would want to plant the tank and make a proper nice job of it.

Thanks.

Andy.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

We keep our betta in a 45l tank, minimum for them is around 25-30l. I use our old aquael filter (from one of our old tanks) which i think filters up to 65l. Its on a low flow as betta dont like a lot of flow.
So with regards to recommendations for a tank i have no idea as we got ours 2nd hand :D
The only other thing i would recommend checking is your water hardness, as i live in a hard water area i have to mix our tap water with reverse osmosis (RO) water to bring the hardness right down :)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

30L+ to be on the safe side. Low flow, plenty of large leaf plants ( They like to rest on them ).
Andys temperate tank

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 18:29 pm We keep our betta in a 45l tank, minimum for them is around 25-30l. I use our old aquael filter (from one of our old tanks) which i think filters up to 65l. Its on a low flow as betta dont like a lot of flow.
So with regards to recommendations for a tank i have no idea as we got ours 2nd hand :D
The only other thing i would recommend checking is your water hardness, as i live in a hard water area i have to mix our tap water with reverse osmosis (RO) water to bring the hardness right down :)
My water supply is moderately soft.

I found this on the companies website today.

I don't understand most of it. Is my water suitable?
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
JonnyM
Been liked: 1 time

Looking at that I'd buy a test kit and test your tap water yourself 👍 You'll need one anyway and the results will be more relevant to understanding fish keeping than what you have there.

I used to keep a Betta pair in a 12inchx8x8 tank with 25 watt heater, small Aquapet double tube light and undergravel filter run by an air pump - takes a bit longer to get going but pretty much no flow. That was 20 years ago now though and small aquariums have come one loads.....but so has the price IMO.

Most would say that size of tank is too small but mine were happy enough to breed regularly so it also depends on how you plant it up or divide the space with other ornaments to break up lines of sight/create hiding places.
If you intend to keep any more fish than just the Betta I'd now go for a 24inchx12x12 min.

Also, watch the each Betta in the LFS as they do all have different personalities. Try to pick one that displays nicely but doesn't flare it's gills out at any reflection as this is a really aggressive display.

Check this link out:
https://www.theaquariumguide.com/articl ... betta-fish

My male was a very chilled Betta, not aggressive at all towards the female...almost a gentleman 😀 Fed from my hand. The female was more moody by far. I kept a hillstream loach/hongkong pleco and 5 white cloud mountain minnows in there with them and he never bothered anything...the female was a little standoffish with the pleco but other than that the tank was very harmonious.

On an aside, if you intend to use real plants and do go the undergravel route then get ones that take nutrients from the water column rather than the substrate as rooted plants don't like undergravel filters.

Love Siamese fighters, such a cool fish. Good luck with it all.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Andys temperate tank wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 18:12 pm Hello.

I'm after some suggestions for a tank to keep a single betta in.

I'm doing my son's bedroom out soon and I want to give him his own pet. He just turned 6 and does karate. (He is right into it and very good for his age, his grandad runs an excellent karate club so it's in the family.) He will love the idea of a fighting fish.

Could anyone point me towards some good tanks, not too big and recommend a filter setup. If I go for it I would want to plant the tank and make a proper nice job of it.

Thanks.

Andy.
This will give you food for thought...
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Also.....
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... f=11&t=224
A single betta in a 28l-35l tank will be ok.
I did keep mine in a 48l.
Andys temperate tank

Some great replies there. Just the sort of things I need.

The betta setup in the you tube video is mind boggling.
Andys temperate tank

I'm starting to like the look of the fluval edge 46l tank.

Has anyone had one of these for a betta? Would the filter and lights be able to support a planted set up? I'll definitely be sticking to the easiest plants to grow.

Thanks for any help.

Andy
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Not the best for a Betta as you need to leave a good inch at the top for air, and the idea of them is to fill them to the top making them look like a tank full of air.