Betta tank suggestions

Betta's, Gouramis etc
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4375 times
Been liked: 2888 times

fr499y wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 18:25 pm Not the best for a Betta as you need to leave a good inch at the top for air, and the idea of them is to fill them to the top making them look like a tank full of air.
Thanks buddy. I hadn't though of that. I liked how the back of the tank held the filtration. The search continues .
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 7 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 2 SAE.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

If you want a tank with back compartment, look at the fluval evo :)
JonnyM
Been liked: 1 time

Andy - look at the post I just did on my fluval edge tank. I upgraded the filter to an external canister made by SunSun...HBL-801. I needed to cut out a bit at the back to fit the filter and then changed to light to a Fluval Nano Plant light.

There was a link to another post from a guy who had a few Fluval Edges and he referred to the one he tried with an external filter as " the tank of death" but I think I've figured out why.

The Edge has such a small surface area that, if you dont have enough turnover at the surface, the O2 levels in the water drop DRAMATICALLY at night. It couldn't support even one fish and my shrimp even climbed out or died to get out of the water.

I 'think' I've resolved the issue by adding a spray bar on the return (the return goes about 50% to the bar and 50% to a reverse undergravel filter as the flow of the canister is 3 times that of the original filter and I needed to reduce the overall flow so the tank wasn't a washing machine).

Reason I changed the filter is it allows me to have at least 4 times the filter media than the original filter but I didnt consider the reason Fluval provide a waterfall type filter....and that was to provide enough agitation to the returning water to keep the 02 levels up.

As for a Betta in a Fluval Edge tank....I think it could work with the standard filter. They are a member of the Labyrinth fish family and usually live in water which can be low in oxygen anyway so have the ability to breath air from the surface. Have a read of these:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/what-is-a ... sh-1380796
https://www.britannica.com/animal/labyrinth-fish

While this would help in a Fluval Edge scenario IF the oxygen levels dropped, you'd still have to maintain all other tank parameters needed for your fish choice.

Like I said, I think I've nailed my problem but I've yet to introduce fish and a Betta is one I'm considering so I'll let you know.

Cheers

Jon
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Bettas need to take in air to the labyrinth organ. If the tank is full (as they should be to work as designed) then they cannot get that air. It's not just O2 in the water with any labyrinth fish. ;)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

plankton wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 am Bettas need to take in air to the labyrinth organ. If the tank is full (as they should be to work as designed) then they cannot get that air. It's not just O2 in the water with any labyrinth fish. ;)
You'll be amazed at the amount of people who don't that into account. The best one, my all time favourite was a woman in World of Water in Rolvenden who said to the store assistant, "why does it need to take air, it's a fish!"
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

ROFL Wow thats scary...
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Somehow it doesn't surprise me though, did the assistant tell her why?
PaulVerrall
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 1273 times

How would a blue dolphin moorii get on with a Betta? From what I read it's a very calm fish and not territorial unless spawning. Anyone have any experience of those?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

in reality, don't mix anything with a betta.
Plus you wouldnt want a 20cm fish in with one!
I've managed it with small tetras and rasboras, but even then its a risk.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I'd say "No chance!"
A big cichlid with different diet and water requirements.......