Talk Congo tetra to me

Tetras, Hatchetfish, Pencilfish, Other Characin Fish (Silver Dollar, Headstander, Leporinus)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Thanks @Baldwin . The cherry barbs aren’t nippers thankfully. They stick to chasing each other and ignore all the others. I’d hoped for more than 6, just because it always leads to better behaviours, but i’ll Keep reading up and see what the overall consensus is.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

I did think about them at one stage after my partial wipe out last year and I have seen them in lfs display tanks mixed with rainbows but it just didnt feel right so I didnt follow it up. I think some get a bit fooled by the 'tetra' bit and expect them to stay small but I've seen some whoppers, they had some at wharf for a while that were like goldfish. Lovely colours in the right light. They do look their best in a good size shoal but that means giving them a lot of tank space.
lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 20:15 pm 120 x 40 x 73 (l x w x h). 240L. It’s running a 306 external and an internal 4 plus Fluval filter. Probably going to upgrade the external to a 407 after Christmas. They are very pretty!
Good plan on the filter upgrade. I think you’re tanks long enough for Congos so I’d say go for it!
311l 48x18x22

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

They are lovely, can get up to around 4" (I think all the books etc. say about 3") and yes, 6 is really the minimum. You should be able to shoehorn possibly up to 8 in a 4' tank without too many other mid/top fish in there.... ;)
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Well, i’ve Messaged my LFS and we’ll see what the outcome is.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

Ok...he hasn’t got back to me but has posted pics of African long fin tetra he has in stock. So I might be setting up QT tank this afternoon and going shopping tomorrow 🤣. I’m allowed because we’re in Scotland so non essential shops are still open.
I could get Congo’s delivered but I’m just reluctant to pay £45 for 6 fish I haven’t seen in person, when I can get something similarly nice for much less and support a local business too.
I wish I had a fish room and could afford ALL THE FISH.

lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

VikingMummy2015 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:33 am Ok...he hasn’t got back to me but has posted pics of African long fin tetra he has in stock. So I might be setting up QT tank this afternoon and going shopping tomorrow 🤣. I’m allowed because we’re in Scotland so non essential shops are still open.
I could get Congo’s delivered but I’m just reluctant to pay £45 for 6 fish I haven’t seen in person, when I can get something similarly nice for much less and support a local business too.
I wish I had a fish room and could afford ALL THE FISH.
My honest answer to hearing about the long finned tetra is meh...

It’s not a terrible fish but I’d consider it a significant down grade on Congos personally..
311l 48x18x22

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Bryconalestes longipinnis - They look a bit like Congos, with a black line into the tail, but they do have the potential to reach 6".
I should imagine they hardly ever do that as most sites say around 4" - similar to Congos.
Si4geckos
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 836 times

I like my congos (bought them big) and they really 'filled up the space'. They're very active and quick, but sadly starting to die off (think they're probably reaching the end of their lives). I did manage to buy x5 albino congo tetras a couple of weeks ago, but they're currently smaller than my rummy nose tetra. If you ever see albino congos in the right light, they really are stunners. I got all male congos and occasionally they zip up and down the big tank in pairs, I assume vying for dominance, but other than that, pretty peaceful. I'd maybe get all males if you have a smaller tank so there's less aggression compared with mixed genders.
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner

I’m so indecisive.
He’s got back to me today and has emperors in stock! He can’t say when he might get Congo’s in so I may well end up back at my original plan. Given how tricky it is to get stock right now, I don’t want to pass up on fish I do genuinely love for ones I might not be able to get. Decisions decisions