Are Crossocheilus oblongus and Crossocheilus siamensis the same?

Barbs, Danios, Rasboras, Sharks, Golfish, Koi.
LadyDay
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Hi guys.

It's very unclear from the internet, but are Crossocheilus oblongus and Crossocheilus siamensis the same species or different? And if they're different, are they equally good algae eaters?
I have have a lot of algae (hair and some brush), so I'm hoping this pretty fish will give me a hand (along with me adjusting the parameters, to get rid of the algae as far as possible). After a bunch of reading I got C. oblongus, getting the impression they are the same, but I am now not sure.

As a side note, I have gotten rid of some fish, including some rather unsuitable fish I bought on bad advice from a fish store, so according to AqAdvisor my stocking level with these new fish should be 106% (on the high side, but not alarming) and overall problem free (properly trustworthy LFS agrees).
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4202 times

This species is among a handful of near-identical congeners that are traded as ‘Siamese algae-eater’ (often abbreviated to ‘SAE’), ‘Siamese flying fox’ and ‘Crossocheilus siamensis’. Recent work has shown that name to be a synonym of Epalzeorhynchos siamensis which was described from Tadi province, southern (peninsular) Thailand by Smith (1931) before being moved to Crossocheilus by Bănărescu (1986).

The latter name is not valid, however, and is a synonym of Epalzeorhynchos siamensis which is itself a synonym of Crossocheilus oblongus, a species described from Java. C.

Quote from seriousfish
LadyDay

fr499y wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:22 am Quote from seriousfish
Thank you. It is hard to know which sources to trust and which are incorrect or just unclear! So I believe Seriousfish then. ::thumbu::
Cheers.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3422 times

LadyDay

plankton wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:31 am https://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/saes.htm
Both sites are pretty good at showing the differences.
This is why I'm so confused! Because thekrib says they are different, wetwebmedia is unclear and seriousfish say they are the same. :huh: All three look like good sources.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I always thought they were close cousins, but from different areas (siamensis from Thailand, oblongus from Java). I haven't seen the seriousfish version before.......
LadyDay

plankton wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:49 am I always thought they were close cousins, but from different areas (siamensis from Thailand, oblongus from Java). I haven't seen the seriousfish version before.......
I have found a bunch of sources that claim they are synonymous, but also serious articles that say they are different. It seems like they may be near, but not quite, identical.
Assuming they are different, have I then ended up with a less efficient algae eater (oblongus) you reckon? They are lovely fish no matter how efficient they are, but I'd be appreciate if they do their job too. :D
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I don't think they're particularly different in their algae-eating achievements. ;)
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4202 times

Any are ok. It when you get a Garra or CAE instead that you get problems lol
LadyDay

fr499y wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:29 am Any are ok. It when you get a Garra or CAE instead that you get problems lol
Thanks. ::thumb::