Guppies with strange red thread

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
JonGinge
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 8 times

To answer earlier questions :
The tank had been set up for a good few years now.
I carry out a 10% weekly water change and then every 6 weeks I change the filter. I cut the filter foam in 2 and use one half from the current filter to keep some of the bacteria present.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Poor guppy indeed. The reduced bloat could be him pooping out the worms, so that would be a good thing.

Re your filter foam: don't change it because it has all the beneficial bacteria in it. Only ever give it a rinse and a squeeze in old tank water. There really is no need, ever, to buy new filter sponge, it just does not wear down. Every time you throw 1/2 away, you are reducing your bacteria colonies by 1/2, which could then lead to an ammonia spike. This is something that will weaken your fish over time.
Last edited by Ric on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonGinge

Thanks Ric.

The aquatic centre told me to half the filter, but I'll take your advice from now on. Information seems to vary so much!

The poor little critter seems a bit more lively, but I'm shocked how quickly his fin has almost disappeared in less than a day. Does anyone know how long it will take to grow back?
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

JonGinge wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 18:04 pm Hi,
I've looked up my water hardness. I'm in Ealing, West London where the water is hard. 272 ppm calcium carbonate according to Thames Water website.
I'm slowly reducing water temperature as per recommendations.
272ppm = 15dGH (degrees German hardness), the average pH in Ealing is pH7.7

All the best with the treatment.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

There seems to be more than one problem.
I think there is ammonia in this bowl which will be eating the fins, there's also the worms which need treating.
Do a large water change (don't touch the filter unless the Biorb has carbon in the filter which needs to come out as it will stop any meds from working) and restart the medication.
Test daily for any ammonia or nitrite.
JonGinge

Thanks. Unfortunately he died last night. Clearly just too much going on for the little thing. He was the only one to have a fin problem. Could it have been stress related?
We did a large water change to be able to use the fin rot treatment and we'll get another water test done tomorrow.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Sorry to hear that. Its often the combination of things that becomes too much.
Still have to carry on with treatments and getting to the bottom of things for the sake of your other fish, though.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Sorry to hear. :(
Yes, continue the meds just in case, the worms can be transferred quite easily from fish to fish.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Sorry for your loss :(
JonGinge

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to update you on my tank situation.
I'm down to 2 guppies and 3 neons at the moment.
I finished the fin rot treatment and carried out a large water change. I then added the worm treatment again as I've noticed one of the 2 guppies has the same red worm that the original that died had.
He seems active enough, but does keep trying to do a little shake, almost like he's trusting to get rid of it.
The worm treatment has been in since Saturday. Should I leave it for a week to see if it works? It contains Flubendazole 1000mg/100ml.
I've added 0.6 ml for my 30 litre tank and removed the carbon from the filter.
I've attached a photo of the poor little critter. Are there any other methods to get rid of the worms?
Thanks again for your collective knowledge.
Jon