My Fish are getting angry

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
KAFISH
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 28 times

Hey all

Ive got 2 guppies and 2 platies all male in my 15 gallon tank. They've been in for just over a week now all has been well (Fish in cycle towards the end) levels are steadily at 0ppm Ammonia and .25 ppm Nitrate it went up to .5 ppm at one point.
Yesterday i did a quick spring clean of my plants, chopped off a few dead leaves etc. Now both my male guppies and platies are getting really aggressive towards eachother chasing which i first though was playing but now i realise its a bit more than that. The big PLaty is clearly niooing at the other one. Guppies just chasing eachother for long spells. but still looks quite like chasing.

Thanks for any help!
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Typical male livebearer behaviour, unfortunately. Small all-male groups tend to bring out, at times quite vicious, chasing. Either you would need lots and lots of fish to disperse any aggression or keep a mixed-sex tank but would then have to deal with the fry.
Just to give you an idea: I once had 8 male platties thinking that would be okay - it wasn't. At least three of them died from the stress of being chased around, the others I rehomed into separate mixed-sex tanks.
KAFISH

ah ok thanks for that, makes me feel better its not my fault. Feel bad for the little guys though,
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Yep even happens in all female groups. Especially smaller groups it becomes more obvious as the numbers are lower to spread any agro
KAFISH

Ok cool.
I cant wait for my levels can stabilise so i can introduce some more fish
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

From what I've seen platties can be a lot more persistent in their chasing than guppies. My suggestion would be to bring the platties back to the shop and instead have a larger group of guppies. A group of just one species with any chasing/aggression dispersed will look nice and lively in the tank; having two small groups with relentless aggression does not make for a peaceful tank.
What other fish are you thinking of adding?
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner

KAFISH wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 18:38 pm ah ok thanks for that, makes me feel better its not my fault. Feel bad for the little guys though,
"Fault" might be a bit strong a word. Just remember that we as fishkeepers are the ones making the decision on how we set up the tanks and which fish we combine. :)
KAFISH

Ric wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
KAFISH wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 18:38 pm ah ok thanks for that, makes me feel better its not my fault. Feel bad for the little guys though,
"Fault" might be a bit strong a word. Just remember that we as fishkeepers are the ones making the decision on how we set up the tanks and which fish we combine. :)
Learning everyday